F.e.a.r.

hmm, fav gun...
I'd say ASP. It's fast, accurate, extremely lethal.
But when playing MP I usually use the penetrator since I think it's alot better than the ASP.

And I found it really hard to find any good opponents on the multiplayer demo. I was almost always on the top 3, and then maybe like in 1/3 of the rounds the best on the server.
Sometimes I owned so bad it wasn't even funny anymore. I mean, 20 kills without getting killed in BF2 is great, but in FEAR 20 kills without getting killed just felt like.. boring. Though I managed to do it many many times it just felt boring because there could be like 2 guys who attack u to the back, u turn around and headshot both of them (with the use of 2 med packs) and just continue to find another victim. There was 4 guys attacking me from 3 different directions, headshotted 2, killed one by shooting him to the chest and hit the last guy to the head with my gun. Took me like 3 med packs and under 5 seconds to do that.

I gues what I'm trying to say is that I really didn't find any challenge while playing multiplayer. And I am not really that good, maybe a little better than an average player.

Yeah there's a lot of guys out there who suck, like really bad. Although I once played a ton of rounds with what was in my opinion, professional players. It was awesome. We all killed each other a fair amoutn of times, that was also the time where I told you guhs about my 20 rounds thing. Was very fun. No one was using the stupid Particle weapon in excessive amounts, or the MP-50 repeating canon. We all used the G2A2, HV Penetrator, or the RPL Submachine gun.

But yeah, on a few occasions I'll get a really good player in the same server, and then we usually go at it. It's fun that way. Some tipis as well...

- When starting off in High Tech, immediatly hold your grenade. That way if a person kills you from behind or from the front, your grenade falls and 8 out of 10 times they'll die from it. :D

- Avoid using the Type-7 Particle Canon, it usally draws unwanted attention, and that, can lead to death. Not cool. :(

- Never let go of the trigger! Always aim for the head!

- Pick a gun and stick with it. Master it. Onc you have that gun mastered pick another, that way you can have two guns that you can really own with. Mine would be the RPL and the G2A2 because the RPL is quick and can fire a lot and is really accurate. The G2A2 because it packs a bit more punch. :)

- DO NOT STAND STILL!!! Should you do this someone will get smart enough and lob a grenade at you, and well, that just leaves a mess...:(

Yea, FEAR is fun. The only thing i dident like about it was the graphics, i mean they look great on high or above but anything less and it looks like total crap. But AI was awesome, phisics were ok, same with ragdolls. I mean, when you see a telaphone wire swinging around when you first walk into a room....it kind ruins it. And when you kill a guy, and he wont stop shaking on the ground, not on purpose either, bugs bugs bugs. But loved kicking guys when your behind them though! :)

F.E.A.R. is a great game, but there are some drawbacks: the pauses before a boss or a big fight is a real let down, because now you know it's coming. Then, there is the repetitive and linear level design. No change, quite boring. And, although the AI is the best I've seen, it stays that way. No changes in their AI. They do the same stuff from the first level to the last. On the bright side, however, the AI is incredible, the fire fights are a blast (especially when an enemy blows up), and, with a good sound card, 5.1 speakers, and a room to occupy it all, the sound of the game is unbelievable. The mulitplayer is good, but there are too many noobs, the assualt rifle is cheap (lol), and the better levels are only for the paid version. But, otherwise, game play is very immersive. The slow-mo effect is a little max-payne-ish, but it does add to the game. However, the game begins to circle around that slow-mo, where everything happens, any fight, in slow mo. Just my take on it. However, the graphics are just almost true to life and I love playing it.

I didn't find F.e.a.r. that scary... But I do watch alot of horrer movies and have played almost every horror game out there. Its an okay game overall.

Would my computer play it ok?

AMD 3000+

512 PC3200 RAM (although upgrading to 1gig 2moro)

MSI 6600LE

F.E.A.R. isn't really that scary. It's freaky, but not bloody and decapitated body parts scary. The AI is very nice, and they are very good at finding cover and communicating with each other, although I do agree with what Jac006 said...the AI never really adapts and changes. They just do the same things over and over throughout the whole game. The slow-motion is a very innovative touch and adds a lot of fun into the gameplay.

The lighting is very nicely done, but I still think Doom 3 and Quake 4 have the best lighting. id Software is very good at lighting and shading techniques. The gameplay is pretty nice, but it feels like you're walking instead of running, so it seemed kinda "slow" to me. The HUD is very compact and with barely any clutter. The particle effects are very nicely done with dust and wall fragments accompanying every bullet that misses you and I especially like how firefights can result in rooms with craters in the walls. The level design is what really gets me annoyed. All the levels are nearly the same...the same urban area, the same horror flashes, the same hallways with blood floating on the ceiling. It's just too repetitive.

The physics are also a wee bit off. Not as precise as Half-Life 2. Sometimes, bodies still twitch like they're being posessed or something, or sometimes they just keep moving on the ground (when they're dead). So, the physics aren't as great as Half-Life 2's, it's still good nontheless. Weapon detail is very precise and fine, but I do have one rant. Why is it that almost every first-person shooter has to have a shotgun like the SPAS-12?! Why?! The SPAS-12 is a great shotgun, but if you notice, it's in Half-Life 2 and this game. It's just annoying how so many games use such a generic, or whatever have you, shotgun. It's not like Doom 3, Halo 2 or Quake 4 where they all had unique looking shotguns that were truly different from anything. Maybe I'm being a bitch over a little detail, but I just found that kinda annoying.

Sound is very, very well done. Everything that happens around the player, they will hear it. The music also blends well, while adding tension as a enemy patrol nears your position or something.

My Scores:

Presentation - 9.2
The game as a whole is presented very nicely, but the level design is somewhat of a letdown.

Graphics - 9.8
Very nicely done graphics bring the best out of your hardware. Literally.

Sound - 9.5
Sound effects are very good, the music adds to the overall tension and the ambient sound is very nice because it adds to the spookyness.

Gameplay - 9.4
Detailed enviroments and weapons add a nice touch. The AI present a very challenging gameplay and the set pieces are great.

Value - 8.0
The single-player is somewhat short and the multiplayer, while featuring great innovations like Slo-Mo simply won't replace Counter-Strike (at least for a long time).

Overall Score: 9.1

There were some things that Monolith missed, but they managed to pull off a VERY, VERY good game.

it kinda spooked me while i was playing and no one was in the house, and later i showed it to my younger brother and he slept in my parents room b/c he was so scared...

Back
Top Bottom