Can Someone Tell Me How To Boost My System Performance Please

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Hello everyone, i have a daunting task for anyone who is willing to oblige. Thanks to anyone who is (if anyone does) in advance...you're good people.

Ok, this is my first computer i built a couple of months back:
Asus A8N-E Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice Core CPU
Gainward GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-e GPU
512MB DDR333 PC2700 Elixer RAM
200GB Western Digital 7200rpm 8MB Cache HDD
Viewsonic VX924 19" 4ms LCD
Some crappy 15" CRT which i use as a 2nd monitor for bits and bobs
If it matters i also run XP pro.

Right now on to the point of this...

I bought these componants as i thought they were the best for the money (were they??? I'd like to know that). I whacked them together (not literally), and, it runs pretty swift...However, to be honest, i do feel a bit dissapointed and wish it ran better for how much i had to work to get it. For example, i'm currently playing Quake4 and besides the fact that i have to run it at 1280x1024 (because of the LCD's native resolution; i know that's a big GPU eater) i have all the settings on their lowest, and, it runs ok...but still jumps a fair bit, i expect the FPS is well under 20, especially when there's lots going on. Can't understand this, the graphics are actually pretty poor on lowest (Does the Doom3 engine eat more power than neccessary or is it just me???).

I don't know if i'm being optimistic here in thinking my PC can do more but i spent a lot on it and was just suprised it can't run these games smooth even on lowest graphics...I thought a 6600GT was a good entry card?? And i was sure a 3500+ was a nice CPU for a starter lad like myself.

So, i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to sort this out. None of the hardware is overclocked and although reluctant at first, i'm now considering overclocking though need a great deal of help as i have no idea how.

Simply, i want to boost my performance without spending any money (hahaha; how stupid does that sound) - I know that's what we all want and it's not really possible to a huge degree but i feel i must be able to squeeze something out of this machine and i thought, if anyone, you lot'd have a good idea on exactly what to do because you all seem like pros compared to myself who knows bugger all.

Thing that's got me thinking is that my mate has a 3-4 year old (or more) MESH pc. Like; AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 512 PC2100 RAM, and some old Radeon card (it can't be that good as the PC wasn't extremely expensive)...And the thing is that mine hardly plays HL2 any faster than his does on same settings. Surely that's wrong???

Anyway, what's everyone think of my componants??? Are they good ones, or, am i just kidding myself and actually have a pretty crappy system? - I know the RAM is rubbish btw, i ran out of cash and had to borrow some from my other PC.

So, what can i do, i'm open to any suggestions which won't damage the componants?

(P.S, finally...while i'm here. If componants are overclocked badly they'll overheat. Is there any fire hazard there??? Cos, my PC stays on 24/7 and i was just worried i'd wake up one day to find it on fire if i tried overclocking...Man, i bet that sounds stupid).

Thanks everyone, help if you can.

Na, thats cool.

I dont want to give you advice on overclocking as it can damage your computer.

Heres a few things you can do.

In xp, go to control panel > system > advanced > performance box > settings > then change to best performance, apply, ok.

Your xp is faster...

also..

try SpeedGear as well as that, will work like a dream.

You could get more RAM as well...

hope this helps :)

Makes XP run faster so that's good...Doesn't look very nice though.

Where'd i find this speedgear thingy???

I do need more RAM, but, my bank balance is just over 1.00GBP (no joke)...hehe.

Would overclocking all my componants to their limit really do that much??

Thanks for the help so far :)

if you oc'd to the limit, your pc would look like a fried piece of plastic.

google speadgear, cant remember where its from, www.download.com proberly.

ah wel, you wont get much ram with £1

save up m8

You reckon? I'm saving up for a 1gb of that corsair XMS DDR3200 dual channel s**t. Will that help yeh??

...Is there any way of improving the performance of what i already have, is what i was really hoping?

Not really, you could overclock stuff if you wanted tho. But you shouldn't expect to get very good fps of that GPU.

get 1gb ddr400 pc3200 Ram

You might have loads of spyware and stuff, download ad-aware and clean your system.

And get an anti-virus program and run that.

And download registry mechanic and run that

And run disk defragmentor

Back
Top Bottom