Interesting Upgrade Idea...

Okay, here's the deal.

I'm looking at this motherboard to run the setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

I'm looking at this CPU to run the setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596

And I have a temporary (very old, too, view my other thread) PCI video card that works that I can use to set up my system until I get another video card. And, I have confirmed it does work without drivers.

Also looking at this case to hold it all:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811138059

That brings the total to about 358 bucks. That's not bad, and then the graphics card will obviously raise the price a great amount. But, I can use my current PC for the time where I cannot get the graphics card. The reason I want to get at least this for now is because, as the guy said above, Opteron's will not be available much longer to the consumer market. Does everything here look alright?

I'm opting for the power supply included with the case, just so I can run my current PC while still having this one being able to run (not games, of course, but the video card will display what I need to set it up well enough). I'll upgrade the power supply when I get the graphics card.

I have enough money to get this setup at this moment. And, I'll still have a little extra. I have one more Christmas (with the extended family) to go to and I'll probably get a few bucks there. If, for some reason, I get extremely lucky :)D) I might just be able to grab the graphics card as well (that's doubtful, though). I'll let you guys know then; the party's tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Jamxx said:
EDIT: Hey, TRDCorolla, what's the shortcut key for choosing the processor speeds? I know there's something you can do so that it'll change between 1.6 GHz and 800 MHz. That'd be really useful for controlling temperatures because this hard drive heats up like crazy. I looked at the maximum temperature and it is 55 degrees Celsius; right now mine's running at 45 degrees. It has gotten to 49 degrees and showed no signs of stopping, so watch that. Don't keep this laptop in your lap for long or it will heat up badly. Of course, everyone knows not to put a laptop in their lap. :D

But if you know that shortcut key, let me know. I know that it changes with the battery settings, but I saw a review that said something about changing the processor speed with the "S" key. I've done control S, alternate S, function S... Nothing does it.

Thanks!

That, I have no clue. I didn't know you can change the CPU speed on your laptop. Yes, it does heat up like a mother under there. Here's a tip. When I use it on my desk or a flat surface somewhere, use a magazine or a thin book to prop the back part of the laptop up. That way, the heat can escape more easier. Before, I would just leave it in one place and after removing my laptop from the table top, I would feel the surface. HOT.

Yeah, that Asus motherboard looks good. I never researched Opterons, but it looks like it will run on that board being Socket 939 and all.

Well, it will change on its own too. Try switching your battery settings to maximum battery, and then let it idle and check the speed of it (you can do so without installing anything by going to Control Panel > System or dxdiag; I'm sure you already know that). I'll bet you it'll be about 800 MHz. Anyway, I'm going to check the BIOS next time it starts up and see if there's something there I can change.

Overclocking ability. I'm planning to get mine to run at about 2.8 GHz. That's the speeds of an 800 dollar AMD processor! I know it does not run as well with games as the FX series but it'll run better than anything else I can get at around 250 dollars. The competing Athlon processor is a 2.2 GHz, and so is the Opteron, but there's no way you're going to get a Athlon with that speed up to 2.8 GHz on air cooling.

Yep. I'm going to talk to my dad about it (since he's interested in such things) and see what he thinks. Can't wait for it (though it'll be annoying not having a good video card for it for a while... oh well, patience is everything). :D

Thanks for all of your help.

Yeah, that's always the downside when you don't have the money yet. I'm way below where I'm suppose to be at (bank account), and a bit shocked how I could spend so much money in such a short period of time. I won't be able to buy anything at all for quite awhile longer. At least I got what I need for now. Got too many bills to pay (credit cards, tuition, car payment, etc).

Hah, luckily I don't quite have to worry about that yet. :D

I currently have 580 dollars (or at least around there) to spend as I wish. That means that I won't have enough to get the processor, motherboard, and video card at the same time, but I'll have more than enough to get the processor and motherboard. So, I'm just going to buy those two first, set everything up and use that terrible PCI video card that I found (which supports 16 colors and 640 x 480 resolution :D). I'll obviously still have my main computer that I have right now to work with as well, and I'm going to sell some of my old parts on my computer to a good friend of mine who is willing to pay a very acceptable amount of money for my video card and some other stuff. I'll have to seriously discuss things with him and then I'll be able to grab that video card too. Then, I must say, you guys are going to have to bow down to my system. :D

Not really. Most of you all already have a system better than what I'm upgrading to. :D

Thanks for all of your support and help, I really appreciate it.

@ TRDCorolla - I have installed GuildWars on my laptop, and can you believe (with most settings all on low, of course :D) that it'll play it with a good FPS (like 35!)! I was indeed very surprised by that!

Okay! Good news everyone! The complete system will be here shortly!

I have arranged for everything to work out perfectly! My friend is buying my video card for a respectable price and I will have enough money to buy the complete system (case, motherboard, processor, and video card!) with money to spare! The only thing now that could result in the negative is if his power supply will not support the video card, but I'm pretty sure that it will. If it doesn't, I'll have to take it back and give his money back. But that's only fair. :D

I'm very excited about this new development. Also, I'll still be able to run my old system for certain things because I happen to have an old AGP card laying around that I can stick in there to run stuff. It'll even play a few older games (like A.V.P. 2) well.

I thought I'd let y'all know the good news! I should have my new system in a week or so (haven't quite ordered it yet but you know how good Newegg's shipping is :D).

Back
Top Bottom