What can I expect out of this upgrade?

gXinfinity

Solid State Member
I ordered the new parts this morning. System I'm currently running is in the sig, and the new hardware is:

Athlon 64 3700+ Sandy
ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX
1 GB (512x2) Corsair XMS Dual DDR400 PC3200
[wonder if the old stick would work too, or slow it all down?]
AOpen "GF6600GT" GeForce 6600GT 128MB 128bit GDDR3 PCIe x16

Any commentary appreciated - last comp was an absolute bargain build just to get me through the first year at college. I ran 3DMark05 last night for the first time (after reformatting barely a week ago) and scored a 234...average fps on all tests around ZERO...definately looking for marked improvement out of this.

Parts as listed set me back $540 including shipping - maybe naive but I feel like I'm getting a good deal. I'm not a huge gamer, I'm just looking for better overall performance.

Use your old RAM with your new RAM, that way you can get 1.5 gigabytes of RAM, and that my friend, is A LOT. And since because all of them are PC3200 you won't have the latency lowered. :)

But what you can expect from that set up is a fairly good gaming PC. The CPU is really good, your 1.5 gigabytes of RAM will definetly be good(!) and your motherboard is really nice as well.

You should expect nothing more then a really nice gaming rig that holds the ability to upgrade in the near future. Overall, nice set up. :)

Thanks for the assurances - I'm looking forward to putting it together. Finally I can now maybe run more than two firefox windows without lagging >_<.

Sorry about that, Sandy shorthands San Diego, or at least that's how I'd seen it done on other forumns when I was researching the buy. I figured when in Rome ... lol.

looks great.
And u will definitely see a great improvement, that computer can handle all of the new games fine.

And ur sig should be 5 lines MAX.

Oh, lol. Yeah San Diego is a nice core to get. You'll defintely see a performance increase with that new setup compared to what you have in your sig.

If you're a gamer then you'll be running some good settings. YOu'll probably be able to actually have a higher graphics settings because you'll have GDDR3 RAM on the video card, plus 1.5 gigs of system RAM, so you're good to go. :)

Back
Top Bottom