Desktop vs. Laptop

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
'kay, so Merry X-mas to everyone who celebrates (happy holidays to the rest), hope you all had a great time this year. I wanted to ask advice regarding a gift I got.

I got a $2000 laptop (with an optical, wireless mouse and a sleek carrying/protective case) for X-mas from my mom. It's a Sony Vaio, black, has a built-in camera and mic, has XP, Pentium M Processory 740 (1.73 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB), 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM (max goes up to 2 GB), 100 GB Harddrive, a DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+RW drive, 14.1" screen, and comes with a memory stick. Chances are, the video card is just integrated graphics, nothing special (since it doesn't list anything on the box).

Now, she's not a techy person. She went out and figured out what would be a nice gift, worked her ass off (3 jobs) and got this for me. She felt bad since this is my first Christmas without my father (passed away July 11th). I've been talking about saving up for a new CPU for about a year now. I have a DeLL, and that's the route I planned to take again.

My current computer has: 933 MHz, 128 mb SDRAM, 17" CRT monitor, 40 GB HD, 48x CD-ROM, and a seperate CD-RW drive, 32 mb nvidia geforce graphics card, and is four years old.

Now, the only reasons I use my computer are to:

A) Listen to music (13 gb of music on here now)
B) Talk to people (AIM/AOL/ICQ)
C) Research (various websites, forums, just typical net use)
D) Play games *

* - I don't play games much. The ones I do are not typically demanding (i.e., AoE, emulated classic console games, Worms, Diablo 2)

So my computer now works well for those tasks. If I have open AIM, a few chat windows, MMJB, Mozilla, and wordpad, it starts lagging a bit. Still, for such an old computer, it suffices. If I wanna play any games, I usually close all other programs (which is fine anyway, 'cause I don't need 10 things open).

Thing is this: I could return the laptop, carrying case, optical mouse, get all the money back, and then order a DeLL Dimension for $1,019. I'd give the rest of the money back to my mom, 'cause I honestly don't feel right having her spend upwards of $2,000 on me for the holidays.

The desktop would have 3 GHz, Pentium 4 Processor, 160 gb HD, 256 mb ATI Radeon Video Card, 1 GB RAM, Dual Drives with a 16x DVD Drive and a DVD+R drive so I can copy DVDs or CDs, without having to first back them up on the computer, a 17" monitor, and 100 watt speakers with a subwoofer.

Here's the problem: I can't make a decision 'cause I know my mom went to great lengths to get me the laptop. She was excited for me and figured it'd be a good idea, especially with the portability. I don't really need to be able to drag my CPU with me everywhere, though. When I do go out, it's not a time when I'd be on the computer (with girlfriend, friends, family, running errands).

The desktop is half the price, with more power. Thing is, my computer now already does what I need just fine. The laptop's specs will suffice for those tasks I'm already performing. The desktop would blow it all out of the water, obviously, and for less but I feel terrible about exchanging the gift. She says she doesn't care, and she just wants me to be happy so I can get what I want, but I'm sure she's just saying that and is actually not as happy that I want to get a desktop rather than keep the present she originally picked out for me.

That was really long-winded, but hopefully someone can help me be rational here, and decide what I should do (or at least throw in their opinions). On the one hand, I've got a desktop that does what I need it to already. The laptop beats out my current comp. At the same time, a new desktop (though lacking portability) would be cheaper, more powerful, have external speakers (since I use my computer as my stereo), and a video card that's not integrated.

It's hard for me to choose...

I'd get the new DeLL. But insterad of giving my mum the money that was left over I'd buy her a gift. But if you are content with the laptop which does all the things you need it to do keep it.
The portability is great, even though you said it really isn't needed.

A) You can use it to take files to your friends houses.
B) AoE Multiplayer at friends houses VIA LAN.

Anyway I hope that helped or gave you some ideas.
Good luck, and I hope things work out for you.

yes get the desktop but only buy her a gift if she doesnt have bills or something that needs paying, if she does have bills i would give her the cash to help her out since shes a single mom. meh i would take teh dell and give my mom back the cash or get her something expensive that shes wanted but didn't have the money just laying around to buy

I would have to agree. With everything you outlined, it makes sense for you to return the laptop, and get the dell desktop instead. Use the extra money to buy a gift for your mom as suggested, and give her the remaining cash from the exchange....that would surely please her as well.

Ziirou Requin said:
'kay, so Merry X-mas to everyone who celebrates (happy holidays to the rest), hope you all had a great time this year. I wanted to ask advice regarding a gift I got.

I got a $2000 laptop (with an optical, wireless mouse and a sleek carrying/protective case) for X-mas from my mom. It's a Sony Vaio, black, has a built-in camera and mic, has XP, Pentium M Processory 740 (1.73 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB), 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM (max goes up to 2 GB), 100 GB Harddrive, a DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+RW drive, 14.1" screen, and comes with a memory stick. Chances are, the video card is just integrated graphics, nothing special (since it doesn't list anything on the box).

Now, she's not a techy person. She went out and figured out what would be a nice gift, worked her ass off (3 jobs) and got this for me. She felt bad since this is my first Christmas without my father (passed away July 11th). I've been talking about saving up for a new CPU for about a year now. I have a DeLL, and that's the route I planned to take again.

My current computer has: 933 MHz, 128 mb SDRAM, 17" CRT monitor, 40 GB HD, 48x CD-ROM, and a seperate CD-RW drive, 32 mb nvidia geforce graphics card, and is four years old.

Now, the only reasons I use my computer are to:

A) Listen to music (13 gb of music on here now)
B) Talk to people (AIM/AOL/ICQ)
C) Research (various websites, forums, just typical net use)
D) Play games *

* - I don't play games much. The ones I do are not typically demanding (i.e., AoE, emulated classic console games, Worms, Diablo 2)

So my computer now works well for those tasks. If I have open AIM, a few chat windows, MMJB, Mozilla, and wordpad, it starts lagging a bit. Still, for such an old computer, it suffices. If I wanna play any games, I usually close all other programs (which is fine anyway, 'cause I don't need 10 things open).

Thing is this: I could return the laptop, carrying case, optical mouse, get all the money back, and then order a DeLL Dimension for $1,019. I'd give the rest of the money back to my mom, 'cause I honestly don't feel right having her spend upwards of $2,000 on me for the holidays.

The desktop would have 3 GHz, Pentium 4 Processor, 160 gb HD, 256 mb ATI Radeon Video Card, 1 GB RAM, Dual Drives with a 16x DVD Drive and a DVD+R drive so I can copy DVDs or CDs, without having to first back them up on the computer, a 17" monitor, and 100 watt speakers with a subwoofer.

Here's the problem: I can't make a decision 'cause I know my mom went to great lengths to get me the laptop. She was excited for me and figured it'd be a good idea, especially with the portability. I don't really need to be able to drag my CPU with me everywhere, though. When I do go out, it's not a time when I'd be on the computer (with girlfriend, friends, family, running errands).

The desktop is half the price, with more power. Thing is, my computer now already does what I need just fine. The laptop's specs will suffice for those tasks I'm already performing. The desktop would blow it all out of the water, obviously, and for less but I feel terrible about exchanging the gift. She says she doesn't care, and she just wants me to be happy so I can get what I want, but I'm sure she's just saying that and is actually not as happy that I want to get a desktop rather than keep the present she originally picked out for me.

That was really long-winded, but hopefully someone can help me be rational here, and decide what I should do (or at least throw in their opinions). On the one hand, I've got a desktop that does what I need it to already. The laptop beats out my current comp. At the same time, a new desktop (though lacking portability) would be cheaper, more powerful, have external speakers (since I use my computer as my stereo), and a video card that's not integrated.

It's hard for me to choose...

WOWOW Man I feel ya, but I;m only 15. My dad passed away August 9th, and my mom bought me 800 dollars worth of computer parts, origionally for xmas and my b-day (my bday is January 29th), then she got me a 19" LCD for xmas, I feel so bad because she is working her ass off now that she is a single mom it is very hard, her an my dad were together for 15 years, they LOVED each other, they would never seperate, and now her heart is torn and she says the only reason she is alive is for me. She isn't emo, but I really feel bad for her getting me these things I don't need. Sometimes she gets me stuff I don't like, but you have to suck it up. As for a 2000 dollar laptop.... If she got it from best Buy or any store, they will probobly give you store credit, you should check before you go back. I think she would understand that you could get a better computer that has two times the power. I will warn you though, the "ATi" graphics card will be BAD. K? You need to make sure and see if it's PCI-E or AGP, and get a geforce 6800 or geforce 7800, or ATi x800 series or x850. I really advise that if you don't do this, you will regret getting the desktop.

Best wishes,

HunteR

P.S Hope you get through your dad ok, my mom is still shaky.

Thanks for the input guys, and thank you for the sympathy, Hunter.

Why do you advise against the ATI graphics card?

I hope they'll give me money back and not store credit. It hasn't been past their 14-day return period, so...

I'll flip out if they try and drag us along on a string, saying we can only get store credit. I do not wanna get stuck with $2,000 at Best Buy.

You are going to get a gaming Dell, for 1K and your graphics card will be your weak point. I mean the CPU isn't the best gamer, and if you can find an AMD 64 with 1G dell, by all means BUY IT. You will experience heaven. I adived against that ATi chip because it's an "Xpress", which lieterally means SHIT. It is the cheap version of the real xinsert_number_here chip it's name is based off of. I'd get an x850 in that thing right away, otherwise it's USELESS.

Well, I think you're exaggerating a bit. What type of gaming are we talking about here? 'cause I don't think it will prove to be useless to play games. Maybe not optimal, but I don't see how it could be that horrible.

He put the games he played in his first post, I think the ATI will suffice for AoE and Diablo 2.

Back
Top Bottom