need major help reinstalling windows xp

mtndew

Solid State Member
ok, heres the problem. the computer im on is pretty much fubar and im trying to reinstall windows and start clean, but when i try to boot from the cd it comes up with the normal menu saying hit enter to set up windows and so on, but wheni hit enter or anything else it comes up with a msg saying that setup cannot find a hard disk drive, but i know there is one because it will boot into windows, well in safe mode. so i tried going into safe mode and running the install from windows, and that works until it restarts the computer and enters the setup. when that happens it comes up with the blue screen saying "setup is loading files" and when its done and is about to come up with the first menu, i get the blue screen of death. so im pretty much out of ideas. does anyone know of another way to install windows or to get it to work the way i tried?

well ive still been trying to fix this problem and i had a thought. i was thinking about going out and buying an old small hdd and installing windows on that, then once its set up go format the old one. does anyone think that would work? cuz i dont really want to go out and spend money on it if it wont work (unless its like uber cheap that is)

mtndew said:
well ive still been trying to fix this problem and i had a thought. i was thinking about going out and buying an old small hdd and installing windows on that, then once its set up go format the old one. does anyone think that would work? cuz i dont really want to go out and spend money on it if it wont work (unless its like uber cheap that is)

I don't see why that would make any difference. It wouldn't really matter what's on the other HDD because when you boot from the CD what's it gonna matter if you have a working drive or not if the one you WANT to work, ISNT?
I don't know why it isn't detecting your hard drive though. If you have another computer why dont you take the HDD out and put it in another PC and test it for errors and analyze it further. Good luck with your problem, sorry i cant be of any help.

well the reason i was thinking about getting a new hard drive is because i have a sneaking suspision that the current hard drive may be no good. but then again i have nothing to back that up. i actually might just go by my friends office and use their degauser. but im not sure that would help the problem of setup not finding my hdd

nevermind, i got the problem solved :D :D :D it took me two straight days of sitting in front of the computer with no sleep but i finaly did it!

Back
Top Bottom