Problem connecting front panel wires to MOBO connector

Azure

Solid State Member
I'm trying to connect the power and reset switches but I'm running into some problems. When trying to insert the power and reset switches onto the motherboard, it looks like the orientation is backward. All the other switches point so that the text on them faces toward the motherboard. However, when I looked at the diagram in the manual, it shows that the positive lead is farthest on the connector and that the negative lead is right next to it. To connect the power switch this way I have to orient the the cable so that the text faces away from the motherboard (The cable has a black wire and a white wire; I'm assuming that the black is negative and that the white is positive). Here's some pictures:
motherboardpins.jpg

manualpins.jpg

What should I do? :confused:

MUCH thanks in advance.

Okay, I decided to orient them "backwards" anyways and it worked. However, now I have a new problem:

I hooked everything up and booted the system with the XP CD inside the CD ROM drive. Everything seemed to be going well; the computer went to a blue screen for installing Windows and it started loading a bunch of files (That's what it said at the bottom of the screen). However, when this screen first appeared, it said at the bottom to press F6 (or some other key) to load any needed drivers before proceeding to install drivers. I pressed the key too late; when I pressed it, the text at the bottom that said to press F6 switched to some other stuff and I never got to install the SATA drivers. So, the loading of the files progressed and I guessed that the drivers were already installed because the MOBO didn't come with a floppy with drivers. So, as the loading of files continued, it eventually said that there was no harddrive to install Windows on. It asked me if I wanted to reboot and I said yes, so that this time I could put in the SATA drivers from my MSI motherboard (On the disk, it says the same model name along with other names: VT8237). However, this time when I boot, the computer never gets past this screen:
bootupproblem.jpg

What do I do now? It detects my CD Rom drive and sees my HDD when I press TAB at bootup (Takes me to a page entitled VIA Tech. VT8237 SATA RAID BIOS Ver.2.41), however, I can't move up and down here, I can only press escape to exit. I checked further in the manual and it says this about the SATA drivers:

.....First of all, copy the driver for the SATA controller from the motherboard driver CD-ROM to a floppy disk. Prepare a startup disk that has CD-ROM support and a blank formatted floppy disk.

How exactly do I do this? :confused:

You should be able to just go into the BIOS (should say some keys somewhere, try them out when it's booting) and set the cd rom to the first thing to check, plop in your windows, or linux cd, and reboot and it should tell you to press any key to boot from cd, do so, and you can install. If that's your problem.

Oh yea, your hard drives aren't being detected. I don't see them anywhere on the list at the top of the POST screen that you have printed out. You need to get into the BIOS and see if they have been selected, or check your cables to make sure they are properly inserted.

So, I should just change the boot order to start with the CD-Rom first? What about clearing the CMOS (Wouldn't that reset everything back to the first time so that I can try installing Windows again?)?

Anyways, with the SATA drivers disk, I ran into another problem: the driver folder is 2.43 megs while my floppy disks are only 1.44. Could I be looking at the wrong folder, or is there some way to get those 2.43 megs onto one floppy? (There are two main folders that I see concerning drivers -- BootDrv and Drivers. The first one is 2.44 megs while the other is 217kb. But, the first one has files that have names with "ATA" and "RAID," the other folder only has files wihout "ATA" or "RAID"; there are 3 files only: "e100bnt" or "e1000nt4" or "IANSNT4n")

EDIT: The SATA chipset is enabled and what not in the BIOS and the proper connectors are connected, and the drive is detected in the RAID set up screen, but the actual drivers aren't installed. I'm guessing that's why the HDD isn't on that one screen.

EDIT2: I think I found the drivers, but I don't know which one I need:

Intel IAA_RAID
GIGARAID
SiIBASE
SiIRAID
SCSI
Promise 20276 ATA
Promise 20276 RAID
Promise 20275 ATA
Promise 20275 ATA(XP)
Promise 20275 RAID
Promise 20275 RAID (XP)
VIA 8237 Series ATA
Sil3114
Sil3114 Raid

Is it VIA 8237 Series ATA?

EDIT3:

Okay, here's the current situation: I switched the boot order to be CD-ROM -> HDD -> FLOPPY and now I can enter the Windows Setup screen again. However, when I try to press F6 to install drivers, nothing happens; after a few seconds it proceeds to loading files, and when I press F6 when it is loading files, I just hear a little chirp/beep from the computer. At the end of the file loading, I see a message that tells me that it can't find a mass storage device, but that I can press S to specially install drivers:
presssmassstoragemessage.jpg

I press S and put in the floppy disk that I created by transferring over the VIA 8237 Series ATA driver files, but nothing happens and it goes back to the original screen. I tried it by using the floppy that I got with my other MSI motherboard and I still get taken back to the same screen:

driversmessage.jpg

Is the computer not detecting the floppy disk? I don't hear any of those load reading noises that I usually hear with floppy drives. However, the floppy drive is brand new and so is the cable I am using to connect it (Connecting it so that the ripped part is connected to the drive itself). The power indicator for the drive lights up just fine. Where can I check in the BIOS to make sure that the floppy drive is successfully being detected (I see it mentioned in a few places in the BIOS, but I think that might be just a general thing to designate what will be the floppy drive)?

Ugh, I was stupid for thinking that I'd get this thing working so quickly. I got the computer working outside the case, but when I put everything back together inside the actual case, the computer didn't boot up at all. I checked all the connections and what not and everything looked okay, but the computer wouldn't do anything when I pressed the power button. I took the computer apart again and I noticed that the power switch cable had been stripped a little:
powerswitchcable.jpg

I remember having a hard time putting in the floppy drive because this cable was in the way; so, I just shoved it aside and slid in the floppy drive. I didn't think that it was actually ripping part of the cable. Could this be the reason why the computer won't boot up anymore? There isn't a full cut, just some of the leads are hanging out, so I'd think that it'd still work. If this is the problem, how can I fix it?

Back
Top Bottom