Low fps with a 7800GT

TBH doesnt sound like a hardware issue to me... If it was a duff GPU you'd likely be seeing display problems, random crashes when you put load on it or no display what so ever.

Try.... CTRL ALT DEL and check the Appilcations tab, close anything there that isnt vital. Then goto the Processes tab, unless you know what your doing dont start randomly closing stuff. The 3rd row in shows CPU usage, have a glance at that and see if you've got something in the background taking a large chunk of CPU time. Also if you see anything there that doesnt look right, run a Spyware sweep (should do them regulary as a matter of course, anyway) as that stuff will suck your system dry.

Always worth turning off the Anti virus, auto update and other crap that likes to run in the system tray if you really want or need your system to focus 100% on a game/application aswell.

Is it a new card? maybe someones done some tinkering with it? could download Coolbits and check its clocks etc...

Maybe try updating your fraps version. I had a little incident with fraps recently actually, I was getting INSANE fps on some games, I'm talking 800+! On an AGP 8x X700. No way is that possible. So I upgraded to the newest version and I got 90-100 fps, which is more realistic. So maybe you should try downloading the latest version and what not. Give that a go then report back in. :)

Osak said:
I also have a problem with FEAR (75 avrg FPS with all maxed) but the problem with fear is my FPS dosent increase when i turn the settings down..
Bit of a shot in the dark here... but isnt there such a thing as a FPS limiter. maybe theres an option somewhere that needs unchecking?

Well its not a lmiter becuase my FPS is like the SAME on certain parts of the test as it was in the test before...:( well my new PSU should be coming tommorow (Worth a shot)

make sure verticle sink isnt on and also check the temps while ur playing and see if theyre really high is so then it might be slowing itself down to stop overheating

VS is off and my underload temp is 44C, and i looked up the GPU downclocking the other poster was wrong, if the GPU isnt getting enought power to run at its run speed it will run at the highest speed it can with what power it is supply (EVGA techsupport :p) but yea they said my new PSU should fix the problem. thanks guys!

Well thats what they told me, I really dont see how it works either i always though if there isnt enought power is will restart at random times or not boot up at all....

Back
Top Bottom