Ok this is annoying me

habook2

Baseband Member
I was told that you CANNOT upgrade a processor; as soon as Windows sees a new processor it crashes and you have to reinstall it. True?

Well, when I built my system, I only changed the motherboard, processor, power supply, and case. I had to reinstall Windows; it gave me the message that I had a recent hardware change and Windows could not boot to prevent damage to the computer. So, it must be the motherboard that causes that, then. That would definitely make sense, though, because Windows has to recognize all those connections on the motherboards, so it would have to recognize all the new locations and connections of them. That would make sense...

(I basically just thought out-loud there. Sorry about that. :D)

Changing the CPU shouldnt cause any major issues with XP, allthough you may end up having to activate it again. If you change a Motherboard then a re-install is the smart move anyway, as otherwise your asking for driver conflicts and all sorts of new and interesting issues....

Would be hard to pin down exactly what upset XP me thinks, but if everythings now reinstalled and working happily, why stress! :D

Back
Top Bottom