Returning to "Out of Box" condition

Irish2284

Baseband Member
I am basically looking to return my computer to out of box condition. I created restore discs as a back up in case I really screwed something up, however, I know there is a way to simply set your computer back to the 'out of box settings' it had, which doesnt require the use of discs or anything.

From what I gather through help menus and the Microsoft website I am looking to restore my computer to "Initial System checkpoint", but I cannot find how to do this, and my system restore options only go back a few months.

Can anyone tell me how to return my computer to the out of box condition, without my having to reinstall the OS, etc. I know it can be done, I just dont know how to do it. Thanks.

Not sure about this, but partition the hard drive, then, reformat.. and you SHOULD still have the os..

Unless you have a system restore set of discs, then I don't think you can. Unless you reformat the hd... but you said you don't want to do that...

Is this what I want...

"
Recovering from Windows XP
Use the following steps to Recover the PC from the Windows XP desktop:

Backup files from the My Documents folder and from other folders you may have created.
Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.
From the Windows XP desktop, click Start, All Programs, and then one of the following options:
NOTE: The following options are for HP PCs. Compaq PCs will have similar options (for example, Compaq Tools).
HP Tools, and then HP PC System Recovery.
Hewlett-Packard, hp pavilion pc tools, and hp pc system recovery.
PC Help & Tools, and then HP PC System Recovery.
A recovery Welcome screen appears.
Click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.
The PC restarts to the recovery program. If another welcome screen is displayed, click OK to continue.
Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:
To perform a system recovery, click Next, and then click Yes
To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, (select Destructive Recovery) and then click Next.
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.
Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
After the System Recovery is complete, the PC restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the PC finishes the setup.
NOTE: It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours. Recovery times are most affected by using recovery discs that were ordered from HP and/or the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (for example, My Documents and the Desktop).
Before using your PC, update and protect your PC. For more information, refer to Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .
9. Re-install applications that you added after puchasing the PC, and any files that you have backed up."

if u want ur comp to be as good as it was when it came out of the box then reformat and reinstall thats the only way ur gona do it, u should have a disk somewhere that says operating system reinstallation disk or something similar

Yeah, if you havent got it, use someone elses disc, and YOUR product key, this should be on ur pc somewhere, normally is on pre-built, as long as you dont use the other persons product key, its all legal.

Figured I would post my solution to my own question.

I failed to mention I am running an HP Pavilion. Apparently that is important to note since within this model of PC HP partitioned the hard drive assinging a D drive as a recovery drive which holds everything you need to run a system recovery (or in fact, basically, reformat). Selecting one of the two options of system recovery allows you to accomplish the same thing as a reformat, except, with everything located on the partitioned D drive you dont need any discs.

I appreciate the fast and thoughtful replies to my question. This forum has always either offered me the solution I needed, or pointed me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Have a safe New Year.

Back
Top Bottom