Interesting Upgrade Idea...

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Well, guys, Merry Christmas! Hope it was a good one for you all.

I got my Compaq V2413US laptop, and I'm very happy! It is awesome! It'll play UT2004 with pretty good settings very, very well! I'm definitely loving everything except the battery doesn't last all that long. But that's okay. :D

I have an interesting idea... I was on Newegg today because I was thinking about upgrading my system, and I wondered about something. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596

I know what you're thinking. "What?! An Opteron?! That's for servers!..." and all. But look at the reviews! If people are getting this thing to FX-55 speeds for 240 dollars, I am interested. And looking at the specifications, it looks better than the AMD Athlons! I just don't understand why I couldn't use one of these in my next system. It looks like there's a great amount of fun to be had with an 2.8 GHz AMD chip. Think of the possibilities, that combined with a nice, new 7800GT and a new motherboard.....................................

Ahem, excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard. :D

But anyways, what do you guys think? I mean, those reviews and that rating look very promising. I'm excited with this new idea!

Thanks! Hope you all had a good Christmas! :D:D:D

I think I might! One question though, will the Opteron work with Athlon 64 motherboards? No motherboards on Newegg say that they're compatible with Opterons, but they have the same size (90 nanometers) and same socket (939). So, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't, but is there something I'm missing? I believe a reviewer said he was using a DFI LanParty, so I think they will work together.

I'm starting to like this idea more and more! One reviewer even went to say that Opteron = FX, which... most likely is a stretch, to be honest. But, they can achieve FX speeds with stock cooling so I'm definitely willing to give it a shot! They also use a low voltage, as well, which is always good.

The AMD Opteron 148 will work on any motherboard, provided that it has Socket 939. The Venus core is very good. It's a improved version of the FX-57's San Diego core with an improved memory controller. It overclocks like a beast too! People have gotten Opteron 146's to 3.0ghz on air cooling and stock voltage (stock speed is 2.0ghz). Opterons, however, aren't as good as the FX series when it comes to gaming. It OWNS, hands down, when it comes to number crunching. I say go for it and overclock the crap out of it! :D Just make sure you don't get the CABGE "Cabbage" cores though, because those can't overclock for poo. Oh btw, you might want to get them fast because AMD is pulling all Socket 939 Opterons out of the retail market and they will only be available commercialy. Too many people have found the niche and exploiting it, so AMD looses money where they want to gain it. So when Newegg.com runs out of stock, your only options are to find some place else or check eBay.

Okay. Sounds good! But, how do I keep from getting the CABGE core? Looking at the reviews, I've noticed most people have the CAB2E or CABYE cores. Apparently, the CABYE is the best. How do you choose which one you get or is it arbitrary?

Ugh, it's two in the morning. I'm going to catch some Z's.

It really depends on your luck. Some people buy a batch and see which ones are CABGE or not.

Lol, if you don't get the right one then send it back saying its "faulty" or something :p

Yes, well, I don't exactly have the money to buy a "batch" and pick and choose the ones I want. Because, then, I have to initially pay for all of them. So that can't be done.

Haha, yeah, I could send it back, but hopefully I'll just get lucky and it'll be a CABYE core right when I get it. However, if it isn't, well, then we'll work from there.

It might be a little while before I get the Opteron, though, because I have to pay for a bit of my laptop with my Chirstmas money to help my parents. And it will depend on if I can afford a motherboard, graphics card, and processor all at the same time (and probably a case too) to determine whether I'll be getting it or not. So I hope I'll be able to, and make my parents irritated at me for spending my money on my computer. :D

Jamxx said:
Well, guys, Merry Christmas! Hope it was a good one for you all.

I got my Compaq V2413US laptop, and I'm very happy! It is awesome! It'll play UT2004 with pretty good settings very, very well! I'm definitely loving everything except the battery doesn't last all that long. But that's okay. :D

I have an interesting idea... I was on Newegg today because I was thinking about upgrading my system, and I wondered about something. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596

I know what you're thinking. "What?! An Opteron?! That's for servers!..." and all. But look at the reviews! If people are getting this thing to FX-55 speeds for 240 dollars, I am interested. And looking at the specifications, it looks better than the AMD Athlons! I just don't understand why I couldn't use one of these in my next system. It looks like there's a great amount of fun to be had with an 2.8 GHz AMD chip. Think of the possibilities, that combined with a nice, new 7800GT and a new motherboard.....................................

Ahem, excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard. :D

But anyways, what do you guys think? I mean, those reviews and that rating look very promising. I'm excited with this new idea!

Thanks! Hope you all had a good Christmas! :D:D:D

Ahhh, you finally got that laptop. I agree with you on battery life. Mine dies like in 2 hours!!!! I hate it, but the charger comes in handy in cases like that. I'm not familiar with Opteron setups, but it does sound promising. GUys on here have been complimenting on it's performance. I would suggest you go for it and let us know ALL your results including benchmarks and stuff.

Well, it is looking like right now I'll have about 400 dollars to spend, plus a little extra, I think. That's definitely not enough to get a new setup, unfortunately. I'll need a new motherboard (picked out a Biostar SLi motherboard initially, but then realized that people complain about its overclocking abilities, so that's no good with what I'm thinking about :D), the Opteron processor which is 240 bucks, and the 7800GT which is about 290 bucks. That's already 530 bucks, and I'll only get 500 if I'm lucky. And then there's the motherboard, so I just don't think I'll be able to do this now.

Unless... someone would like to donate...

By the way, seriously, if you guys have old computer parts that you're wanting to get rid of let me know, I might want them.:D

EDIT: Hey, TRDCorolla, what's the shortcut key for choosing the processor speeds? I know there's something you can do so that it'll change between 1.6 GHz and 800 MHz. That'd be really useful for controlling temperatures because this hard drive heats up like crazy. I looked at the maximum temperature and it is 55 degrees Celsius; right now mine's running at 45 degrees. It has gotten to 49 degrees and showed no signs of stopping, so watch that. Don't keep this laptop in your lap for long or it will heat up badly. Of course, everyone knows not to put a laptop in their lap. :D

But if you know that shortcut key, let me know. I know that it changes with the battery settings, but I saw a review that said something about changing the processor speed with the "S" key. I've done control S, alternate S, function S... Nothing does it.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom