OverClocking A Dell

GreySteelFox

In Runtime
Ive heard from everyone that you can't OC a Dell. Is there any way to unlock the Bios and be able to do it. I push everything to the limit on my PC and i want to OC this 2.4. If I cant then i'll be forced to go buy a 2.8 for $200 and still wont be able to OC it! :mad:

Nope. If the BIOS is locked, which they do with all Dell computers, then it's impossible to bypass it. They do it because overclocking voids warranties, although some companies like Alienware and Falcon Northwest are hardcore enough to let you overclock their systems all you want. Especially Falcon Northwest. ;)

Good question. Ask Alvino. Or Jac006. Because i dont know. But, i was told it can be done.

If people near me could give me their Dells, since they suck soooo much, I'd investigate on Ocing, Flashing and Unlocking BIOS. In a formal way, there is usually jumpers

Yeah, I think you can just reset your CMOS...I'm not too good with flashing and unlocking BIOS's, so don't take my word for it.

well it sounds like we need a dell for testing and experimenting. well you cant have mine until i build my new PC in the future. but when i do have my new Dell-Killer built I or yall can do what ever you want with mine! :D

does it have to be a good one? Because i have a few old shitty dells. i mean like a p3., and maybe a p.2. And then an old old p.1 gateway.. ill sell them to ya. FOR CHEAP! Id give the damn things away, but there not mine.. so they would have to be sold..

Try this:
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] BIOSes on older machines sometimes need to be updated because they limit the size of a hard drive. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] In you're lucky enough to have a machine with a flash BIOS chip, upgrading the BIOS is as simple as running an upgrade program that can be obtained from your motherboard manufacturer. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Flashing is relatively easy," explained Faisal Premji of Voodoo Computers in Edmonton. Though he warns there's an extra step you'll have to take since you have an ASUS-brand motherboard. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"You do have to set a jumper to enable boot block programming," he said. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] But not to fear, here's the poop on that: You'll need to change a jumper on your motherboard to allow the BIOS to be written to. A jumper is a little black connector that straddles two tiny prongs. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Look in your motherboard manual for the correct location," suggests Premji. "It will have diagrams and tell you exactly what to do. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"If you don't have a manual, take it to your local computer dealer, or where you bought the system from. They will be happy to do it." [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Not all motherboards require this boot block programming jumper set. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] If you're planning to upgrade the BIOS on your machine, check with the manufacturer of your motherboard. Most of the common brands have Web sites with clear and straightforward instructions. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] For our reader, the upgrade should be straightforward. Premji provided this step-by-step procedure. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 1) Download pflash.zip and the appropriate BIOS file. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 2) Unzip the files into a temporary directory. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 3) Set boot block jumper to 'PROGRAM' mode. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 4) Run the file Pflash.exe, and follow the instructions. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] The only instance where you may run into a problem is if you interrupt the programming by turning the computer off or rebooting it during the procedure. So, to be blunt, don't do that. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] I recently upgraded the BIOS on my dad's IBM Pentium machine and accomplished the procedure in under an hour, with the assistance of an IBM help desk technician. The folks who sold you your system will likely help you, too. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] There's a great list of flash BIOS updates at Wim's BIOS page at http://www.wimsbios.com. His Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section is also a must read.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I also found this page. http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/biosflash1.html

Warning: this voids your warranty, so proceed with caution. After you flash it, you should be able to oc to your heart's content.

More on this:
[/font]While Dell offers no overclocking options whatsoever in the BIOS and in fact uses a PLL that was supposed to be designed to not modifiable, it turns out that one can still overclock.

Step 1) Check to see if the Dell uses the ICS 952601 PLL.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/podien/FSB.HTM

Step 2) Download and install CPUFSB available from:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/podien/CPUFSB.HTM

Step 3) Run CPUFSB; Under PLL manufacturer, pick ICS and under PLL type, choose 952607

Step 4) Click on the Fine tuning button

Step 5) Adjust the Frequency using the buttons at the top and adjust to a reasonable overclock value.

Step 6) Hit Freq Set and the system will be overclocked immeadiately. However, not all programs will register it, but CPU-Z and benchmarks that don't rely on processor cycles will show it.

Step 7) Reboot, and then all programs will recognize the new speeds

Hope this helps dude.

Back
Top Bottom