2 Questions re Networking an wireless

iamspike

Solid State Member
:confused: I want to have 2 desktops (one in my basement and one on my second floor). I have looked at the Belkin Pre-N wireless router. What do I need for the computer in the basement to enable it to communicate with the Belkin Pre-N router ( Do I need a Desktop , A Belkin F5D8000 Wireless Pre-N Desktop Card? Anything else?)? Please give me full instructions as to what I need? BOTH ARE DELL COMPUTERS (ONE A 4100 and the newer 8400 with a cable internet hookup (modem). I am searching for the fasest/best (internet communication and networking setup) ways to use both desktops.
Can you also give me directions on setting up the network for the computers?

Thank you very Much :confused:

I think you may need access points too so the signal can be relayed upstairs unless the wireless signal is strong enough to go through all those floorboards and walls to reach the other PC. We'll see if you need one if the internet is not getting any signals. I think it should be ok.

You can have it so both PCs are wireless to the network which means you will need to purchase 2 wireless network cards and install them inside your PCs. They make USB ones, but I just don't know how reliable they are. I usually have one wireless and one cabled if you just have 2 PCs since the wireless router is going to be pretty close to your cable modem box.

You will need to hardwire a CAT 5e cable from the Ethenet port on the back of the cable modem to your wireless router (WAN port). If you plan on having both PCs wireless, that's all you need to do. Physically install the two network wireless cards into the PC and turn them on to be configured. You should automatically have internet access upon startup of the PC. File and print sharing is another issue you have to deal with after that.

:confused: I would want one computer wireless and one cabled (IT WOULD BE THE UPSTAIRS COMPUTER SINCE THAT IS WHERE THE MODEM AND CABLE INTERNET ENTRY POINT IS) because as you stated (if you just have 2 PCs since the wireless router is going to be pretty close to your cable modem box.)
Would I need only the one wireless card for the computer in the basement to communicate with the one upstairs?

Please excuse my ignorance

Yes, in that case. Only one wireless adapter is needed. The other PC that is closest to your PC will be hard wired. You will have another ethernet cable coming back from one of the ports behind the wireless router to the back of your PC's built in NIC.

Any types of routers and cards you would suggest?
I am looking at the Belkin Pre-N router and the belkin Pre-N card.
Any opinions on that?

Thank you :confused:

Back
Top Bottom