SCSI vs SATA for Video

o2pb

Solid State Member
First post! Hi :)

Im going to be buying NewTek's Video Toaster 4 hardware/software for video switching/editing/broadcasting and they recommend that you use a striped array of 4 SCSI drives (Raid 0), since they delivery the best read/write performance... but the price is insane... and the capacity miniscule.

I stumbled upon this article
http://www.barefeats.com/hard35.html

According to this SATA drives aren't that much slower than SCSI.....but the price is MUCH less. I'm going to need around 1 terabyte of storage.... and with SCSI thats going to cost $6,000.

Does anyone use SATA drives instead of SCSI for video editing/switching? Hows the performance?

my new machine is going to have SATA it is supposed to be insane!!! (in a good way) i use the old type (what ever it is called i forgot) and i edited video on it and it worked ok but i bet SATA is going to be the best

SATA won't be bad, but I just wanna know if there are any noticable performance differences between SCSI. On paper SCSI is a little faster... but I wanna know how that works out in reality.

It's not going to be that much difference.

SATA II is even better though. And SATA isn't really that much better than IDE in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom