xbox360 controller problem (it's computer related)

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
I just bought the 360 wired controller to use on my computer (for console games such as gta) and I'm having a problem.

I installed all the drivers and opened up gta3 but whwn I configure the controls the game recognises every button except the two back triggers, which is a bummer because they are perfect for accelarate and reverse.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it the contoller or the game? GTA3 is quite old now so could it be that?

Another thing, the controller has ten buttons, but gta3 only recognises 8, is it possible the game was programmed to only use 8 buttons (which would be total crap because I have no use for the 'start' and 'back' buttons.

Thanks in advance

Merry Christmas!

P.S, just installed a wireless network with speed booster. I used to download average of 98kb/s, just now I downloaded at 267kb/s! WOW!

its probably the game...have u tried switching the button commands around though. That might help.

Let me get this straight, you're using an XBOX 360 controller on you PC? Wow, never thought you could do that. Anywho it's the game more then likly.

Microsoft had a press release and mentioned that it would be usb but not work on the pc, so wow, howed you get it to work at all? Wheres this driver you used?

also: I don't really know about that, But Seeing at it wasnt intended for pc usage its probably the controller.

Also, Those triggers arent buttons, They're pressure sensitive, I think I counted 3 levels of sensitivity on each, so It's not like you could program it to be a button, It doesnt work like a button.

oh well I guess thats reasonable enough...well put. Anyway at bestbuy I saw a sign over the 360 controllers that said "XBOX 360/PC CONTROLLERS". False advertising? I don't think so. It looks like a gamepad I think it is a gamepad and it goes through USB ports. I just don't know why the MS corporate fatcats would say it doesn't work on PC. I mean they'd only make more money.

1337DuD3 said:
Let me get this straight, you're using an XBOX 360 controller on you PC? Wow, never thought you could do that. Anywho it's the game more then likly.

Yes you can do that. The wired Xbox 360 controller can connect to your Xbox 360 and PC though USB.

It's probably the game. Are you sure you can't program the buttons? I remember IGN.com playing F.E.A.R. with a Xbox 360 controller once...haha...

I had a look around on the controllers properties and you're right (can't remember who), they don't register as buttons cos they are pressure sensitive, like the anologue sticks.

So how will you be able to use them in any game? Even in new games a command like 'shoot' will still need to be assigned to a button, so how will you use the triggers?

Damn Microsoft!

£24.99 down the drain...

Well it's not always Microsoft's fault...sometimes it's the game. Just because they made the controller doesn't mean they deserve the blame.

oh great, I've found a program called 'Game Profiler' that lets you assign a keyboard key to anything on a controller, even an analogue stick!

All I did was assign keys '1' and '2' to the 'rt' and 'lt' triggers in Game profiler, then I went into the game and assigned '1' and '2' to accelarate and reverse. Worked like a charm!

Problem aside, I must say this is the most comfortable contoller I've ever used (used to be the gamecube's). Even though keyboard and mouse still rule for FPS's and strategic games, sometimes I need to use a contoller to get the most out of a game, Grand Theft Auto for example.

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom