ATI Reveals Radeon X1900!!!

There are some differences. CrossFire links through an external dongle, whilst SLI links through an internal PCB bridge. Also, SLI has to be two of the exact cards (same brand, BIOS, everything.), while CrossFire can mix and match in between the CrossFire Edition master card and the slave card. So you can have a X1800 XT CrossFire Edition and a X1800 XL slave, or a X850 XT PE CrossFire Edition card and a X1800 XT slave card. The combinations are different and all ATI X-series are CrossFire compatible.

So would my motherboard support dual Crossfire video cards? As an example? Pretend it's an SLi motherboard even though it's not. :p

TRDCorolla said:
So you mean we have to get motherboards that use the ATI chipset instead of the nforce chipsets in order to use Crossfire?

I believe so. Because on ATi's website it says that such and such motherboard are now comoatible with CrossFire. Although I'm not sure if that's the truth or just another way for ATi to make some extra cash. Either way, I certainly don't have the cash to get one. So as far as testing this theory out, I can not do.

But the cool thing will be to see what this X1900XTX can do. Because they've never released an XTX series card before. So what this new signia has in store is goign to be fairly neat to see, plus what kind of overclocking potential this new card has. If it's anything liek the X1800XT, then I'm sure you can get 1.8+ GHz core clock and possibly, dare I say it, 3+ GHz memory clock?

No. Only the nForce4 chipset supports SLI and only the ATI RD480 chipset supports CrossFire.

I want to know this X1900XTX's true overclocking potential. Because if one X1800XT could get 1.5GHz core and 2GHz memory, then this new card should be able to completly blow that out of the water, considering it has 48 pixel pipelines. :)

1337DuD3 said:
I believe so. Because on ATi's website it says that such and such motherboard are now comoatible with CrossFire. Although I'm not sure if that's the truth or just another way for ATi to make some extra cash. Either way, I certainly don't have the cash to get one. So as far as testing this theory out, I can not do.

But the cool thing will be to see what this X1900XTX can do. Because they've never released an XTX series card before. So what this new signia has in store is goign to be fairly neat to see, plus what kind of overclocking potential this new card has. If it's anything liek the X1800XT, then I'm sure you can get 1.8+ GHz core clock and possibly, dare I say it, 3+ GHz memory clock?

Yeah, XTX is a weird name...although the standard GT, GTX, GTO, Pro, XT and so forth are getting pretty boring now...so I guess it's time for a change. I wouldn't be suprised if it has a 3+Ghz memory clock...GDDR4 yields pretty fast speeds and is very fast. Becides, ATI can probably think of something to do so, considering that they were the first to break the 1Ghz core clock barrier.

Yeah, they're power hungry. ATI plans to introduce a RD580 chipset and R580 GPU together by the end of January. The R580 has 16 pipelines and 48 pixel shaders and the RD580 is a "two by sixteen" PCI-e lane motherboard.

I see a massive potential for this card. But am I right when I say it has 48 pixel pipelines? Or does it have 48 somethign else?

Back
Top Bottom