Question about adding slave drive

swindmill

Beta member
I have an old maxtor HDD out of a Compaq that ran '98. The motherboard on that computer went bad, so I was going to try and add it to an IBM running Suse Linux 10.0. I know that I need to change the jumpers on the drive, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I see the jumper between the SCSI and the power plugs on the drive, but it is not labeled. The pins look like this:

::.: (with the jumper on the second two)

Can someone tell me where it should go to make it slave, or all drives different?

After (if I can) make it a slave drive, can I plug it into the IBM and have it show up, or does it have to go into a another Windows machine?

Any advice would be appreciated. My knowledge of this is clearly very limited.

Thanks . . .

EDIT:
the part number is 93071u6 - I looked it up on maxtor.com and it gave me "file not found"

The drive is labeled as a cable select, but can I still set the jumpers to slave?

each drive manufacturer has e diffrent pin confuguration for the slave mode. Seagates for instance is the second set of pins from left. but it will not hurt to try it and if it doesn't work you can switch around till it read's it as a slave.WARNING; do not proceed if you are not sure it is recognized as slave.

Back
Top Bottom