I'm Sick

bill gisse

Baseband Member
Replaced my processor yesterdaywith a new AMD 64 X2 Athlon 3800+ and computer wouldn't work. Pulled processor out and found two bent pins. Anyone know if they can be straightend and how/where. The CPU went in real easy' Have emailed NewEgg and AMD for help. Hate to think $325 cpuld be gone so fast.

From what I've heard Newegg is pretty good about replacing items, tell them the pins were bent when you opened it and there you go. Do not tell AMD the pins are bent. I once told them that I had tested my cpu in several different systems and it didnt work but I bent the pins taking it out the last time and I got the reply " we don't cover physical damage ".

Pins can be bent back, but wait untill you hear back from newegg and amd before you touch it. If you do have to bend them back yourself use something wooden like a tooth pick or plastic. Be extremely careful, the more you move the pin, the closer it comes to falling off.

Though if the pins got bent because you took it off, you could have other problems to think about.

But, if you can't retunr it and you brak pins, there is stuff called gold pins recovery that you could buy. All you need is a very sharp soldering machine and pins. You weld the metal where the pins are supposed to be and you put them back together, but i only recommend it if you are a VERY precise expert

Well, you could use old CPUs, Ebay or special places.

Speaking of older CPU, Older CPU is Like Socket 370, 462, OR socket 7. Forget the rest. And don't use them for A P4 S478, or S775...only S423

the_binary_soul said:
I could always pay someone else to do it.

:D :D :D Hahaha, I find that funny. I'm not insulting you, trust me, I would pay someone to solder something like that as well (or pretty much anything besides speakers :D)

Did this occur during the normal removal of the processor, or did you move it differently in any way?

Apparently bent some when installing it and somemore when takig it out. Looks like I mught have turned it a little when taking it out. Have jewler friend who wants to look at it after I give up .. He's says those pins bent almost 90 degrees will probaly break and need replaceed.

Hm...that's why you should remove your processor straight out, not bend your wrist as you take it out, because sometimes a pin or some pins might still be in the ZIF socket holes and havent' completetly come out yet. Processor pins are really fragile, that's why you need to be careful.

I think a jeweller would be the best bet for some1 that understands the cost, and the precision needed. A metal worker on the other hand might throw it at the wall and say, "i fixed it". Tell him you'll buy him lunch if he fixes it ...that seems to be the best offer going around

Back
Top Bottom