6600GT Heating Problems

Those Gigabyte ones are supposed to be silent, that's why they put the heatsink. The ASUS cooling is a bit different. You can angle the heatpipe/fins over your CPU heatsink so it'll bet air from there.

GUYS! IT HAS A FAN! THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS!!!

Sorry, I was away all day and didn't get to check the forums until now. Here's a link to my specific video card, it's the version with a fan on it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125156

NOTE: This is the PCI-Express version. It seems that Newegg does not carry the current version of my card anymore. Wow, that makes me feel a little more obsolete.

I've got fans all over the place guys. And I'm not a rookie at this stuff, I evenly spread out a VERY think layer of Arctic Silver 5 out. I was too nervous about it to just put a glob and let it spread, so I spread it out with a folded piece of paper first.

Oh, I was reading the first thread you wrote and it says AGP. I know the AGP version didn't have a fan on there, lol.

Ok, you have the PCI-e version. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much over it. It's within limits and it hasn't been acting up right? You can try using the aftermarket Zalman cooler if you wish to bring that temp down.

Haha, no, I have the AGP version. Sorry, I didn't state that clearly. I have a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP 8x WITH A FAN!

Newegg does not carry it anymore.

Just take the fan off wack some thermal paste on it. Youll be back to 40C before you know it

I didn't know that. I'm always seeing the AGP one without the fan. You must have gotten a rare one. Still, getting a beefed up cooler would be great.

I might. We'll see if it starts malfunctioning. If it does, I will buy a new one. But until that, I'm gonna see how it does. I just will give it some breaks until I get that wonderful 7800GT :D

If the temp continues to skyrocket, you must buy a new one. OMG, the 7800GT is fast. I want the GTX one, but later for my next PC build. It runs much cooler with almost double the performance.

It also might be the thermal Diode on the card its self. I mean, its unlikely I know, but still, its possible. If its not acting up, then your still cool, I say stay stock, the 6600GT automaticaly clocks down when it gets to hot, so you should be allright.

okay, if you slap on a VERY thick layer of AS5, it will do you more harm than good. Spread a thin layer on the core ONLY. If its took thick, it will act as an insulator, thus resulting in high temps. Go read Artic Silvers website.

Back
Top Bottom