AGP Question..

Insunna

In Runtime
I'm getting ready to buy a v-card for a friend who seriously needs one. Right now he's using SiS (Intergrated). But he needs a new one for gaming pourposes. Now the thing is, i have the model / type i want to buy. But im told that since he only got Intergrated with his comp, then it may not support AGP. How do i find this out? If it wont work with AGP, what about PCI-E? Im just trying to figure out the difference so i know exaclty what card im going to buy. Any help is apprciated!

Well it depends, find what kind of slots his mobo has, AGP PCI PCI-express.. Just because its integrated video doesnt mean it wont have any expansion slots

Can you include the specs for the computer? Motherboard make and model if possible? PCI-e is newer technology and not compatible with AGP or PCI slots. I'm sure he's got at least a PCI slot for video, but that's a piece of crap though. AGP is much better with PCI-e being the best, but as I mentioned before, his motherboard must support the technology used.

I'll bet you it won't have AGP or PCI-Express, I hate to say. If you have integrated video, I'm betting he has a Dell or other pre-made computer if he's using integrated video, and I've often tried to see if my friends (who are using integrated video) can use AGP or PCI-Express, and all of them did not have any AGP or PCI-Express slots.

By the way TRDCorolla, how do you like your laptop? I'm thinking about the V2410 of yours for my Christmas present to myself with the money I get from it.

The laptop is great, just not use to slower speeds. My desktop screams compared to this. The hard drive is much slower than my 7200RPM SATA drive, the RAM is not even PC3200, but PC2700 I think. The ATi graphics is pretty good though. I just love the processor it uses. The wirless hotkey is so neat. It has built in wireless support so that is one of it's best feature along with........the 7 in 1 memory card reader!!! OMG that saves me so many times. I have a lot of devices that uses Sony Memory Stick, SD disk, MMC, etc. I LOVE it. The Altec Lansing speakers sounds freakishly good for a laptop. I love the scroll pad. You can scroll up and down, then left and right on that touchpad. You can also lock that touchpad when you type so you don't accidently move the cursor on the screen. Freaking good. The widescreen is a plus for me because of the smaller 14" screen. I can have two windows side by side and have pleny of space to view stuff. It's got like 4USB ports, a firewire port, DVD burner, PCMCIA slot, Ethernet port, modem port, and what else? S-video out, monitor out. It's LOADED. I only paid $800 for it too.

See the pictures here:
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=28200&page=5&pp=15

... Well, sounds like you like it then. I wonder what the difference between the 2310 and 2410 is though. CircuitCity's got it at $799 until Christmas Eve, and I'm hoping that it will be even lower right after Christmas. I'm thinking that it will, knowing that they have to take inventory of everything in January and pay tax on it. I hope I can get it!

(Either that, or my computer is getting overhauled... but I need the laptop!)

It's a little hard for me to find out atm, im doing remote assistance on his comp atm though using VNC. Without me being there is there a way to find out what motherboard type he has? I'm thinking under dxdiag, theres tons of info there. But i can't figure out which information is for the motherboard.

I see the Chip type says SiS 760 Rev 00. Then again, i don't know if this is the correct info. It's under Display on dxdiag. I'm buying a v-card so he can game. and considering he has Intergrated now, im sure PCI would be okay. Without me being there to check the comp out, i know it's hard for me to find some info.

Back
Top Bottom