6600GT Heating Problems

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

Wow! It has been a good long while since I've posted here. No, I didn't forget about you guys, but my computer has just been fine. I was looking here yesterday for something, and found it, and saw that some of the guys I knew here were still here. Great to see that!

Anyways, I've got another temperature related problem (remember those, TRDCorolla?) and this time it is serious. I've had my Gigabyte 6600GT AGP for some time now, and never once has it failed me. Still hasn't, actually. But I'm beginning to get a little worried.

Today, I had a friend over playing Half-Life 2 DeathMatch, and we both had to go eat and left it on the menu screen. Well, when we got back, he didn't want to play, and I had RivaTuner running in the background. Just out of curiousity, since I'd never really gotten a long-term readout from my graphics card, I decided to check the temperature...

98 degrees Celsius!!! At first, I was like "Nah, that can't be right" so I closed it out, and opened RivaTuner up again. Bam! There is was again! It had cooled to about 88 degrees Celsius but I knew that it had actually been at 98 degrees! Now, I know this is too hot for a 6600GT running at 500/1000. This is definitely starting to worry me. So, I took the card out of my computer and looked at it under a light. Everything looked fine, and then I took off the heatsink over the GPU. No problems there. I decided to apply a little bit of Arctic Silver to see if that'd help. So I did, and spread a think layer over the GPU. Put the card back in, yadda yadda yadda (Seinfeld, anyone?)... Fired up the demo for SWAT 4 because I asked my friend to give me that for Christmas, which, luckily, he hasn't gotten yet and I'm going to tell him not to because I didn't much like it, and the temperatures soared to about 87 degrees Celsius in about 15 minutes. I was sure that if I were to continue playing it for a while the temperature would not hesistate to break the 100 degree barrier, and this is something I do not want to happen!

What's going on here? I've got an exhaust blower fan under it, too. It may have done this since I have gotten it, but I don't think so. It has always been a hot card; always idled at about 59-62 degrees Celsius. No artifacts though, ever! Very strange, even at 98 degrees there weren't any artifacts!

On a happier note: I think I'm getting a system overhaul in Spring sometime, because my dad wants to upgrade his computer and I proposed that he get my old motherboard, graphics card, and processor (I know he won't get the graphics card up to 98 degrees with AutoCad :D ) and I'm looking at a nice little setup involving a Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, Biostar SLi motherboard, and a little 7800GT to run all those next-gen games. Any advice would be appreciate. And yes, I have a strict budget. This is about as far as I'll go (I'm looking at about 540 bucks as it is).

Thanks guys.

One more thing: do higher graphic quality games make the graphics card heat up faster and heat up more period?

I'm not sure why it's running so hot. My 7800GT actually runs cooler than my 6600GT which is funny. I'm running a cool 46 degrees celsius and under gaming load, it goes as high as 68-70 degrees, that's it. It's got a better cooler than my 6600GT though.

Is your CPU and PC temp pretty high too? Maybe your case is having problem getting the warm air out. But if I were you, I would add an aftermarket cooling for that video card. I'll bet water cooling would get that temp down fast, but that's too much.

You can try taking off the stock fan/heatsink and replace it with this:

ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117

My CPU temperature never goes past about 46 degrees Celcius and the case temperature stays at about 30 degrees, but it'll go up to about 37 degrees. My fans are done fine, I have one exhaust fan, one side intake, and one in the front cooling my HDD's. Don't forget the PCI exhaust blower fan below the 6600GT itself.

I really don't want to replace the heatsink on the card though, and that's a funky looking thing too (I like it though :D)! The reason for this is I shall probably upgrade my system in the Spring, and it won't need that heatsink. I just don't want to have to spend a wasteful 35 dollars on something that I might not need.

...I downclocked it to 300/1000. As long as I don't see any artifacts on it, or it never shuts down on me... You think it's okay if I just let it go as it is?

I think it should be ok. The 6600GT can withstand 120+ degrees temperature (in celsius). It's a little wierd how it got up into the 90's. I guess if there's no sign of video problems, the temp is under 120 degrees, you should be all set and dandy.

YOu'll be getting a new video card anways so that should be fun when the time comes.

is it the heatpiped 6600Gt? You need fans blowing on the heatsink, and get good airflow. a chunk of As5 isnt good. you want a thin layer.

He needs a fan on there. The Gigabyte 6600GT doesn't have one on there if I remember correctly. It's got this huge heatsink, that's it. That's why I recommended getting that Zalman one with the heatsink/fan combo. It should do wonders.

The NV43 core runs pretty hot and it'll sustain that heat for a bit. Yeah, if you have the Gigabyte ones that have only a heatpiped heatsink, either get a exhaust blower or replace it with a aftermarket heatsink/fan. TRDCorolla, the G70 core runs really cool, so it's not very suprising if it's cooler than your 6600 GT.

Isn't it funny how something that run so much faster can run so much cooler? Technology is so awesome. He's got an exhaust blower on the bottom of that video card, but I don't think it's doing much good. It's still hot. I think that new heatsink/fan should do the trick. I can't beleive Gigabyte didn't put a fan on their 6600GT like MSI or some of the other manufacturer. I wonder about the new Asus board with the fanless cooling feature for their chipsets. Those heatpipes are just crazy. I must have fans...

Back
Top Bottom