Video Card Question

chrismakk69

Baseband Member
So I just did a full revbuild of a PC...I'm having some major issues getting hte display to work...Here's the deal..

My motherboard is a Asus A8N-E nForce Ultra Socket 939 ATX. This does not have a built in video adapter so I purchased a GeForce 6800.

So everything powers on fine. I hear the sata hard drive spinning, cd rom powers up and all..The thing is, I cannot get the display to work. Everything is connected properly. When I plug the monitor in, the screen stays blank and the green led on it just flashes.

The only thing I could think of that could cause this is some sort of a driver issue or something like that..The problem with that is, the hard drive doesn't have an O/S loaded so how the hell would I go about loading drivers and installin an O/S if I can't see anything?

Maybe my theory is completely wrong and someone can help point me in the right direction...

FYI, it is a PCI Express card if that helps at all..

...Unbelievable how I could design data centers but I can't get a stupid video card to work...lol

Stuff like this happens to the best of us. So you tried reseating the video card already? It's a bit more work than installing a traditional AGP video card because of that little lever that has to snap into place with the end of the card.

Did the computer beep when it powers on? Maybe the monitor is bad or could be a faulty video card. Disconnect your monitor and attempt to connect it to another computer. This can be a friend or family's computer or take it to a service center. Borrow a computer monitor and connect it to your computer. If your monitor works on another computer it is safe to assume that the video card within the computer is bad.
If another monitor works on your computer it is safe to assume that your monitor is bad.

I tried reseating the video card several times an dmade sure the lever snapped into place..No luck with that..

It does beep when it powers on...I'm pretty sure the monitor is not bad because I was using it on my old machine and it works no problem..I'm picking up an lcd this weekend so I'm gonna pop it on and see what happens...

I'm gonna see if I can pick up an old video card from somewhere and see if that badboy works on there...Do you think it's possible that I may have gotten a faulty motherboard with a bad pci slot or something?

...I was just worried that I was doing something wrong that I wasn't seeing...

Thanks for the reply dude..

At this point it is also a possibility. I'm surprised there are no beep codes present. On my PC, it gave a series of beeps when I forgot to install my video card. Yes, lol that was funny. That motherboard is brand new though, huh? You'll have to test it out one by one to see what the deal is. I think if you can get your hands on any PCI-e video card, you can kind of predict what the problem might be. So you're using a CRT monitor right now? I wonder if there's anything in BIOS with video settings you can play with? DVI, VGA? Double check that. It's a longshot but BIOS have those features.

Yes, it's brand new..That's what kind of makes it tough to pinpoint. I was also thinking that since it's a CRT monitor that may have somethign to do with it..The card has a VGA and a DVI input and I tried both of them with no luck...

If I was able to actually get into the bios and see the menu I would love to tinker with it to see what's up..

I guess my only choices right now are just swap the video cards, swap the monitor and see what happens...

Man, I tell you what..After a long day of work and having to deal with this transit strike, all I want to do is go home and play some FarCry..lol...

Oh yeah, that's right. No display. Darn it. Well, the swapping out of parts sounds like the most logical choice right now. Do you think there's any way it can be a RAM problem?

I'm all out of ideas. If you take it to a shop, they will do the exact same thing we just mentioned here unless they have software they can load at startup to perform diagnostics. It's frustrating, especially when everything's new. The good thing is, whatever fault you find, you will get a new replacement under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom