hey guys can you help me out?

ekornmeyer1

Solid State Member
Right now I have a nf7-s mobo with a amd 2500+ cpu. I am looking to upgrade this. I searched around, and found a venice 3200+ amd cpu. it looks nice, except that it is a socket 939. i have never had experience with this kind of socket before, and when I looked on newegg for 939 mobos, there were only like 6 available, which didn't look too good to me.

can anyone offer me advice on what i should be looking for? and perhaps the difference between sockets 939 and A

Theres a lot more than six available, keep looking. Look at ASUS, Gigabyte, ABIT, DFI, and seceral others. Whats the spec's on what you are looking for.When you look at NewEggs link, select a brand, socket and go from there.

ekornmeyer said:
That is what I did man. In the search field, I selected All manufactures, Socket 939, and that is it. And I only got 6-7 motherboards.

EDIT: I also selected Athlon 64, since that is what the processor I chose.

I selected this PCU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

And I could only find 6-7 mobos for it.

Don't think your looking in right section. On the opening page uder QUICK LINKS click on AMD Compatible Motherboards.In new window click on ASUS, AMD, 939 in the drop windows for MFR, CPU Type and Socket Type. Then click on GO at the lower left corner of this window. The resulting window should list about 12 different ASUS boards. Repeat this rocess for other manufacturers. Hope this helps you. For info I'm waiting for a AMD 64X2 3800+ CPU and 2 gigs of OZ memory from NewEggso I can finish my new homebuilt using a GIGABYTE Motherboard

Yea, that is true, but you also forgot to select Athlon 64. Doesn't that matter? Like.. if I got an Athlon 64 CPU, wouldn't it not work with Athlon 64 FX, Semperon, etc? Or does that not matter?

Your right, I omitted Athlon 64 . When you select a Mobo ( Motherboard)or use the existing mobo the specs will tell you what type CPU you can use with it. You have to be careful a new mobo will accomadate whatever you already have if thats the way your going. Your PSU may be a little on the low power side for much of an upgrade, your memory may not fit a new mobo. If you are using a factory buit computer it may have restrictions on size of mobo it will except. Cooling might be problem to. I'm saying all this not to discourage you but to let you know there may be some unforseen problems. I would avoid Semperon. The CPU you mentioned in your opening post is a good one. What kind/model of computer you rebuilding? Did I get side tracked assuming a new mobo might be in the picture?

I built the computer myself. Like I mentioned, i'm using a nf7 mobo, which supports socket A CPUs, so yes, I will have to purchase a new mobo.

I have 1.5 gigs of corsair ram, pretty standard I would think?

My main question was what is the difference between socket 939 and socket A. Is there performance differences? Or is it just the way it is made, etc?

well aocket A is from the late 1990's and socket 939 is new for 2004 or late 2003 i think. Socket 939 allows for higher speed, and its architecture allows for faster clocks. Also, with a newer socket comes newer technologies for the cpus that work with the socket 939. The cpus that work on socket 939 are the fastest, since amd 64, fx, x2's and semprons use this socket.

TreeHugger gave you a better answer than I could. Have only been around computers since 88 but never got ( Repaired/Upgraded) into one until about 95. Have heard of Socket A but never seen one. Were on our third Sony with Intel and this homebuilt is my first experience with AMD (939) Hopefull the CPU and Memory will get here today and I can get the thing running. My wife wants it off the dinning room table.

Ok, I think I understand now. I thought the socket 939 wasn't that good, since there were so few of them for the athlon 64. But on the other hand, is there something below the athlon 64, that is more common use? That people use more often, because if tons of people were using athlon 64s.. I would think there would be more then 6 mobos for it.

Back
Top Bottom