Be nice.. but i bought a dell.. Ahh...!!!

MooseMan said:
ok look. it's as simple as this. custom PCs are not always the way 2 go. my custom built always gives me shit and i've had 2 constantly work on it and i don't even have my sweet 250GB hardrive and forced 2 run on to 4GBs with no cd drive because my damn motherboard doesn't have more than 1 IDE imput. so now i'm stuck with that over the holidays which sucks knowing how much i love my computer, when it's not a bi*** for most people getting a manufactor(sp) is easier for them.

Did you build your PC? Whoever built your PC screwed up, obviously. When custom building anything; whether it be a computer, radio or whatever; there will always be room for a screw up or two. It's true, that humans aren't perfect. However, companies such as Dell do it purposefully! They know they are selling you crap parts in your PC. I mean, 1 or 2 mistakes in a custom computer really doesn't say much in comparison to an entire line of crappy computers.

so many people dont't even kno that u can custom built computers and thats why they need company's that build them for you. and the reason everyone buys the dells is because they are inexpensive and well known and thats what people look for. no random soccer mom is gunna know what to buy if she were to look at alienware's PCs or falcon NW or anything like that. and also people are going 2 trust big company's to built their computers more than one of their DIY friends. simply put.

Yes, not everyone knows about custom built computers. However, Arrizx does! My point was to simply show that he was making a bad mistake. However, maybe he doesn't know how to build a computer, so... Maybe it wasn't such a bad mistake. However, the option is, was and always will be open. Surveys conclude that an overwhelming majority believe custom made computers are the best form of computer anyone could ever have:

1) They are specifically tailored to your needs and demands. No extra crap!
Who would want a computer that did everything else that they don't need their computer to do... And then pay for it?!

2) They are cheaper
Custom PCs are cheaper! An HP featuring the AMD X2 3800+ for 899.99 can be easily matched by a 750 dollar Custom PC (with water cooling!) I should know because I built one!

3) They are potentially FASTER
Someone please find me a premade manafacturered AMD 64 fx-57 computer. As a matter of fact, someone find me a manafactured AMD Opteron 170 PC.... Ya know what? You can't! *Gasps* Not unless you want an Alienware...

4) They are easily and readily upgradable and interchangable!
They aren't specially made for a certain brand of computer parts or accessories. If your PSU goes bad, it can be replaced without replacing the MB. If the MB is bad, it can be replaced without having to worry about replacing the RAM and processor (unless of course, your MB is very old).

5) They look so much freaking cooler!!
Custom PCs are some of the hottest looking computers I have ever seen. Find me a Dell that looks as cool as this:

http://www.cubedpc.com/images/steves_computer/with_lights_041804/IMG_0064.jpg

or

http://www.matrixagent.net/PimpRig/Pictures/DSC00642.jpg

not all dells i've seen are bad. and not all good eather. the quality of the computer when u buy it can depend more on just the manufacturer(sp). the people who use it do crazy stuff and don't bother 2 take care of their pcs. thats probably the reason ur computer is faster quinton! because they put so much shit on their HDs that windows bogs down. sometimes it can be the parts but usually it's the stuff on the HD thats the issue. and quinton that computer u built isn't a high quality pc. u even said urself u used offbrand ram and what not. custom PCs are at just as much of a risk as the ones company's build. not just dell and not just intel custom builts or anything like that! *pant*

I did use offbrand ram... However, the ram is perfectly clocked to the processor's max FSB. Unlike the ram that comes in a pre-built PC where the RAM is much much slower than what the processor can do. You have a lot of these manafacturers who still put 333mhz ram with their AMD 64 or Pentium D processor machines! It's ridiculous.

Some premade computers are great! However, they are rare. Custom PCs will always beat the premade PC. There's nothing anyone can say much about it.

Its not a god damn mistake. It wasnt the smartest choice, i totally agree. But its what worked under the circumstances. Ok? let it be, i got what i needed. And its going to work out for me. Actually its not ever for me. Its for my father. He knows next to nothing about a computer. So nothing even remotly mentioned in here is going to benefit him. Hes going to use the internet. OMG! he needs an extra super cool case, just to use the internet. Hes going to use thunderbird for email. OMG! he needs water cooler, because that program is hell on the processor! He will download some music with Yahoo! music engine. OMG! hes gotta have an Amd, just because it runs faster. And because downloading content off the internet requires SOO MUCH PROCESSING POWER!

See my point? He doesnt need a custom built computer, where the ram speed matches the processors FSB. He doesnt need a cool case, hes not going to LAN parties. He doesnt need water cooling, just because it can be included in the price with the super-awesome pc for under $600. And I CAN build a custom computer. Im 15, mom doesnt let me. I dont know why, but her word it law. Im not gonna pay $600 behind her back, and build this computer for him. ANd even so, something could get lost in shipping. The processor for instance could be delayed behind all the other parts. And i need this before the weekend. the computer should be here tomorrow, or wednsday.

But seriously do you see why i got the dell, instead of a custom build. Because what he is using it for, he doesnt need anything custom built.

Another thing, it is over priced. So what, it could have been nice to save a little bit of cash, but its not like were dirt poor. We can afford 50 bucks loss. 100 dollars loss. What ever. The point being we didnt need it. We made this decision, and through everything this thread has gone though, it still stands as the smartest decisinon that we could have made. Thats final. Debate that all you want. The decision has been made, and im glad we did it.

Well if his dad didn't need anything special, then a Dell should be fine. I agree, custom computers are the best way to go, but some people simply don't need them. All some people want to do is just go online, check e-mail, check the stock market (like my dad...) or whatnot. Why deal with a custom computer when you can just get a cheap pre-built one with no hassle.

My mom recently got a computer from Fry's Electronics and it was the Great Quality brand (which is from Fry's itself). It came with the following:

-AMD Sempron 2200+
-ECS Motherboard w/ SiS chipset (I found this out after cracking open the case)
-256mb PC2700 SDRAM (Later upgraded to 768mb)
-Integrated Video (There is a AGP slot available)
-40gb Hard Drive
-52x CD Drive
-250w PSU

It came pre-loaded with Linsire 4.5, but I reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 on it. That whole computer cost her $150. She's perfectly happy with it, and it runs relatively smooth considering the hardware. Now that wasn't a custom computer, and you certainly as hell couldn't build that computer for $150. It really depends what you need and if a custom system is necessary.

See, neither of your parents needed to go custom. Mine are in the same boat. They dont do anything special with a computer, so why get a nice one. When you can get a cheap one that works fine, for what its intended for. Its not like i expect to play Cs:s on the pc. Im sure it would with the lowest possbiel settinsg, but thats beside the point. The thing is that, anything better then what i had gotten for him, would have been, not unused, but unneccessary. Same basic thing i guess.

Quinton McLeod said:

You guys really don't believe me, huh?

Alright... This is what I bought from Newegg.com

A Powmax black ATX Case including 400 watt PSU (holiday special) $20.00

80 Gig 8mb cache Barracuda Seagate Harddrive $55.00

AMD Sempron 2200+ $67.00

512 Megs 333mhz Offbrand ram $50.00

ASrock MATX Motherboard with 5.1 surround sound integrated sound
and integrated 10/100 LAN and integrated graphics - $40.00

Liteon DVD ROM 16x - $40.00

Liteon CD-Burner 52x - $25.00

Blue Keyboard/Mouse set - $12.00

So far -- 309.00

5.1 Surround Sound speakers - $55.00

Sony IDE Floppy Disk drive - $9.00

Zalman CNPS2500 (I believe) %100 Copper Flower Heatsink with 92MM fan - $21.00

Blue UV Reactive Dragon Fan Plate - $9.00

So far -- $403.00

Phillips 107E66 17 inch black Monitor - $117.00

That totals to $520.00

Lets add shipping... That would be about 30 bucks worth of shipping soo....
$550.00

That's a complete system... And I bought that a year ago when the Semprons first came out... If I were to build another budget PC this year, I could definately get a better system for a 100 bucks more than I paid last year.

That is the most shitty computer i have ever seen.

At least the Dell is tested with thoes parts. Your computer is just going to break.

alvino said:
Well if his dad didn't need anything special, then a Dell should be fine. I agree, custom computers are the best way to go, but some people simply don't need them. All some people want to do is just go online, check e-mail, check the stock market (like my dad...) or whatnot. Why deal with a custom computer when you can just get a cheap pre-built one with no hassle.

My mom recently got a computer from Fry's Electronics and it was the Great Quality brand (which is from Fry's itself). It came with the following:

-AMD Sempron 2200+
-ECS Motherboard w/ SiS chipset (I found this out after cracking open the case)
-256mb PC2700 SDRAM (Later upgraded to 768mb)
-Integrated Video (There is a AGP slot available)
-40gb Hard Drive
-52x CD Drive
-250w PSU

It came pre-loaded with Linsire 4.5, but I reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 on it. That whole computer cost her $150. She's perfectly happy with it, and it runs relatively smooth considering the hardware. Now that wasn't a custom computer, and you certainly as hell couldn't build that computer for $150. It really depends what you need and if a custom system is necessary.

I have 2 of those! Got them from a sale. Great to life in California!

Link

Mr. F said:
I have 2 of those! Got them from a sale. Great to life in California!

Link

The GQ 3131 Featuring the new AMD Athlon 2400+ Processor

Specifications
CPU: AMD® Sempron® 2400+ Processor

HAHA

kev said:
That is the most shitty computer i have ever seen.

At least the Dell is tested with thoes parts. Your computer is just going to break.

Actually, you haven't "Seen" the computer. Nor have you got your hands on it. Right now, you're looking at generic specs that I gave info from the top of my head.

Break?! ROFL!!
I've seen more Dells, Compaqs and HPs break much much faster than the one I built. The computer I built has been up and running for a complete year so far, and there are no signs of wear and tear anywhere.

It's funny how some kids feel that the cheaper something is, the more liable it is to break. Don't be foolish.

1) Semprons are usually 60-70 dollars. Breakage? I don't think so!

2) 80 gig Hard drives are normally 55 bucks... The one I have has a 8mb cache. To top it all off, it's a Seagate Barracuda. Those are high quality drives.

3) Everything else I bought from Newegg; I did extensive research and made sure it was high quality. I even read the user comments and made sure the product had a high opinion rating.

So, if you'd think it'll break, then lets put a wager on it. If I still have the computer running for another year, you owe me 200 dollars. If the computer fails, I'll owe you 200 bucks. How does that sound?

Quinton McLeod said:

Break?! ROFL!!
I've seen more Dells, Compaqs and HPs break much much faster than the one I built. The computer I built has been up and running for a complete year so far, and there are no signs of wear and tear anywhere.
So u are telling me that the computer is very durable because it hasn't broken during the 1st year? :p lol
When it's been running without any hardware problems for 5 years then u can come and tell me it's durable.

Back
Top Bottom