Windows XP and x64 Processor?

No. You need Windows XP x64 Edition. There are ways to get it, legal and illegal. I'm not one to suggest either. But Windows XP x64 Bit Edition is the only truly good 64-bit OS. I've used XP x64 and it's incredibly stable and reliable. :)

hahaha well, alright; i think ill go with legal :p Do most 64bit processors (i am using AMD 3000+ 64bit) have a lot of compatibility issues with hardware and software too...?

Also, my mobo came with SATA and I plan on using that as well: am I going to need anything special to set up that?

thanks

07mackenzie said:
hahaha well, alright; i think ill go with legal :p Do most 64bit processors (i am using AMD 3000+ 64bit) have a lot of compatibility issues with hardware and software too...?
Standard XP will work with x64 CPU's, you just wont feel the full 64bit benefit, whatever that is..lol
I'd think your more likely to have issues with older hardware and your MOBO, then any CPU compatibilty issues tbh. I know my Asus A8N board wont even support 98 or ME!

07mackenzie said:
Also, my mobo came with SATA and I plan on using that as well: am I going to need anything special to set up that?
Shouldnt do. If your PSU has SATA power connections your set, if not you'll need some molex to SATA adaptors. Also take note of weather your MOBO has SATA or SATAII support, as otherwise you may find yourself wasteing money on speed you cant currently benefit from, allthough I believe SATAII drives are backwardly compatible anyway, so if theres little price difference you can always add in an element of future proofing. I've also recently learned to my cost that SATA drives will need drivers, regardless of weather or not your going to RAID them, so be sure to have a floppy drive and some blanks lying around. :thumby:
One more thing worth mentioning.. If you have an nForce4 mainboard be very carefull with Diamond Max 9/10 drives, I've had a nightmare of a time with mine and theres a google full of others.

HTH and good luck. :)

Alright: here is my hardware--

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1649101&CatId=0

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144153

I'm not sure what SATA support the mobo has... So technically all I should have to do when installing windows is:

1. Press that F6 thing to install SATA drivers

and

2. Install the mobo drivers via Windows (once windows XP is installed).

And although XP Standard (34bit) works with 64bit processors... If i CAN, would it be worth it (in terms of performance) to get a 64bit copy of XP? Will it have more hassle in terms of compatibility and all?

Thanks

Sorry, but could someone please just confirm this question because one person has said no and another has said yes:

Will my Standard copy of windows XP Professional SP2 (32bit) work with my 64bit AMD processor? If so is it WORTH upgrading to Windows XP 64bit Edition anyways? Will I notice a change in performance? Will the 64bit edition include the service packs? Because if I don't have service packs, I don't think most of my hard drive can be recognized in Windows...

thanks

XP works fine with a 64bit processor, i have a 3800 x2 running orginal 2002 xp, XP64 is just a version specifically for the 64bit it has alot of flaws and glitches and i wouldn't recomend getting it. Just get normal xp and wait for vista:)

Cool, thanks! And do you have any ideas on how to get my SATA drive up and running? (I have chosen to use XP Standard (32bit)

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom