Major, HUGE Problem with XP pro

TibsBeatAll

Daemon Poster
Alright guys. One day, i was looking around my files for a folder that my buddy sent me.

I accidentally deleted a file called kernel32.dll. Apparently this is a vital file to run Windows. After i shutt he computer off, everything went wrong.
I tried to reboot and this is what happened.

1. Everything goes well until the Windows Screen.
2. A blue screen of death pops up saying that a file called kernel32.dll is missing and in order for windows to run properly, go and install the file.

So i'm like, huh?? And i go and get my Xp pro CD and try to just reinstall windows. However another set of problems come in.

1. Install goes until the stage where it says, preparing to install 39 minutes left.
2. A window pops up saying the file asms is missing and it wants me to locate the file. So i check the details of the problem and it says that there was a cycle redundancy. And it may be due to a scratched disc. So i popped in another one of my XP pro discs and same thing happens. I have a legal copy of xp pro, so bootleg is not an issue.

I looked on google to see if there was a solution to the problem, and i found a site.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755

It says to go into command prompt and type regedit.exe. However it doesn't work. So on the site it says to

Method 2

If you cannot start Regedit.exe at the command prompt, and there is another available partition where you can install Windows on the hard disk, follow these steps:
1. Install Windows in the other partition.
2. Start the new installation of Windows, and then start Regedit.exe.
3. Follow the steps in method 1, but load the System.sav hive from the original Windows folder.

Okay. So can someone tell me in leeman's terms how to go about fixing this problem? I think i am going insane. This has happened to my main rig, and i'm on my laptop right now, so i can't do anything. I need that computer for college in a week and i would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.'

Also, is there a way i can install kernel32.dll through BIOS or whatnot?? cause i can't get into windows so i can't just pop in a burned cd and install. Thanks.

TibsBeatAll said:
Alright guys. One day, i was looking around my files for a folder that my buddy sent me.

I accidentally deleted a file called kernel32.dll. Apparently this is a vital file to run Windows. After i shutt he computer off, everything went wrong.

2. A blue screen of death pops up saying that a file called kernel32.dll is missing and in order for windows to run properly, go and install the file.

So i'm like, huh?? And i go and get my Xp pro CD and try to just reinstall windows. However another set of problems come in.

1. Install goes until the stage where it says, preparing to install 39 minutes left.
2. A window pops up saying the file asms is missing and it wants me to locate the file. So i check the details of the problem and it says that there was a cycle redundancy. And it may be due to a scratched disc. So i popped in another one of my XP pro discs and same thing happens. I have a legal copy of xp pro, so bootleg is not an issue.

I looked on google to see if there was a solution to the problem, and i found a site.

It says to go into command prompt and type regedit.exe. However it doesn't work. So on the site it says to

Method 2

If you cannot start Regedit.exe at the command prompt, and there is another available partition where you can install Windows on the hard disk, follow these steps:
3. Follow the steps in method 1, but load the System.sav hive from the original Windows folder.

Okay. So can someone tell me in leeman's terms how to go about fixing this problem? I think i am going insane. This has happened to my main rig, and i'm on my laptop right now, so i can't do anything. I need that computer for college in a week and i would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.'

Also, is there a way i can install kernel32.dll through BIOS or whatnot?? cause i can't get into windows so i can't just pop in a burned cd and install. Thanks.
actually what u could do is take the hardrive out and plug it into a different computer as a slave then just copy the file from ur other XP computer and then drag and drop it where it's suppost 2 go! idk if this will really work but u could always try right?

TibsBeatAll said:

Method 2

Okay. So can someone tell me in leeman's terms how to go about fixing this problem? I think i am going insane. This has happened to my main rig, and i'm on my laptop right now, so i can't do anything. I need that computer for college in a week and i would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

I get those problems occasionally (the reformat with cd probs), so I take it out, blow HOT breath so the cd fogs up, wipe it off with something that isn't scratch, and hope to god that it works. I have a 3 year old winXP cd, so you know, it has a few scratches and smudges. If you really need it for college that bad, you could alway look at linux as a liable resource. If you just need to go online and print up text documents, then you can download a debian installation and use it. Read up.

www.debian.org

Other than that, you could copy the file like Moose said, but it probobly won't work because you will need one that has the same stuff as yours, and I don't imagine a laptop having the same settings as a desktop.

My advice is to clean off both of the cd's and try to install more than once or twice. It may even be a cd-rom drive problem, if two cd's won't work that's just strange. If the desktop is store bought, please tell, because you may have deleted it right off of the installation partition that you use to install the company products the computer needs to function. Please respond ASAP.

I built this computer. It is not store bought. The specs are in my profile. And i tried blowing, fogging, cleaning the discs many times. I tried to make it work numerous times and each time it fails. But i don't think the scratches have anything to do with the missing asms file.

Can someone explain how i would do this??

How would i install it in another partition?? And remember that i want to keep my old microsoft word and adobe files.

edit:

If i found a desktop that had xp pro on it, would i be able to connect it to the other hard drive and make it slave?? And than install kernel32.dll on it???

Cause i have plenty of friends who have xp pro ont heir computers, so if it'll work, than i guess i'll go and try that too.

Solution #3 Reformat the drive and start from scratch.

Option #3 will result in losing all information.

To back up importaint files follow the following.

1. Take drive out of computer.
2. Insert drive into another computer as a slave to retrive vital files. (if laptop is the only computer you have left then you may have to buy a external enclouser to hook it up to your laptop via USB.)
3. Put drive back into original computer and reformat and install Windows.

Alright. Kev.

I found a friend with another computer who uses xp pro. However, his hard drive is IDE, while mine is SATA. Does it matter??

And do you know a good site that has pictures and explains the steps of how to make ur HD a slave?

thanks.

It's just a jumper on the drive... you should see a label and then set it to either master or slave... in your case slave.

Back
Top Bottom