Optimum Online

roland poland

Baseband Member
Okay so the connections been going fast ever since I installed it which is like a month ago. I've been downloading a lot of things lately like episodes and and things. But today all of a sudden the connection is so friggin' slow. Also when I checked the connection it said 100 Mbp, is that sorta fast? Can anyone give me a possible explanation for my problem?

If the connection says 100mbs, that is good. But if it's slow that's a bad thing. have you ran any antivirus, spware, adaware, etc. scans lately? What were you doing at the time of slowness? post your comp specs. it might help. It could be a lack of ram. It depends. Is it wireless or connected through an ethernet port?

I have OOL, and it's not 100mbps. That's the speed of the WAN port on your router. In other words, that's the maximum throughput that the router can handle.

In ordre to test your speeds, you might want to go to nyc.speakeasy.net. You'll be redirected to the new speed test site. You can either report your speeds back here, or on the Broadband Reports Forums.

OOL also implements something we call capping. That only occurs when you upload too much, and it causes your upload to be capped to 150kb from 1000kb. I'm rambling now, aren't I?

Here's mine, is it okay?

Download Speed: 5679 kbps (709.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 633 kbps (79.1 KB/sec transfer rate

Oh. That was jac006? Ha. Ha. Ha. Whoops. You have 1.5mbps/384kbps DSL right?

Anyways, 5mb/600kb is not that great, since OOL is currently set to 10mbps/1mbps. However, it is impossible to reach such speeds because of the TCP overhead.

IT is most like node congestion, and there is really nothing you can do about it until OOL updates its network, which is is currently happening.

OOL is implementing OOL Boost, and is upgrading to DOCSIS 2.0, which means more upload and download capacity. Once it reaches your town, you will be able to have 15mbps/2mbps speeds, and if you pay a little bit more, you can have 30mbit/2mbit speeds.

So there's nothing I can do about it? Kuberr, since you have OOL, could you possibly do the speed test as well and post your speed here? I just want to compare

P.S.- I tried it again, to see if there was any difference and this is what I got.
Download Speed: 8466 kbps (1058.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 918 kbps (114.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

That's good. Like I said, it's probably node congestion. Your speeds will be better in the morning and midday than at night, because that's when everyone will be at home and using the computer.

8466kbps is about 85% of the limit and what you6 should be hitting. Usually, my speeds are around 5000/900 due to node congestion as well. Oh well, you got to live with whate you got. At least it's better than Comcast.

Back
Top Bottom