Just got new mobo/processor; how to upgrade?

That chipset doesn't look like it supports PCI-e so it supports the regular AGP graphics port. It's the standard 8x AGP port what most people use.

Oh, cool! I can still use my video card then :D

Umm because this is my first expensive mobo, I really don't want to mess up anything; so do any of you guys have any suggestions that I take as extra precautions when setting up the whole thing (thermal paste, placement, etc)... thanks!

Yes, if it's an AGP video card. If you buy CPU at retail instead of OEM (which I don't usually advise unless you totally know what you are doing), it comes with all the thermal compound, heatsink, and fan. You have to take the piece of paper off from the thermal compound so that it can be applied to the clean surface of the CPU. It's already attached to the bottom of the heatsink so it's a very easy setup. I guess a tip I can give you is be careful when handling motherboards, CPUs, or any electronic components. Hold it by the edge and insert parts so that they are snug in place. YOu don't want to apply to much force to the point where you may crack something. Always have one hand or arm touching metal chassis of your PC case so you are grounded from electostatic buildup.

Other than that, have fun with the build.

Thanks :) Now I just have to wait for newegg to get my RMA. I hope they refund it... My stupid 200gb maxtor hard drive that i got died after 3 hours of use :(

I'm sure they will. They are best at doing RMA's. I RMA a few things before through Newegg and they always honored my request. I always wrote a little note that is attached to the product explaining the fault and bubble wrapped it at UPS or USPS depending how big the item is.

Ok cool! Yet another question... :p Will this mobo bundle come with all and any drivers needed to get the thing running at its best and safest performance?

Yes, it's complete. You have the motherboard drivers, the I/O panel for the case, hard drive and floppy cables. So everything will work as soon as the hardware is all setup. For the video card, I suggest downloading from Nvidia's site for the latest drivers.

Alright, thanks.

On my most recent system, I use DDR SDRAM (the kind with one slot on the bottom, not two), and I got some weird errors that apparently came from the memory and I was just wondering, whats the best way to test which memory sticks are still good to use and which arent? Ive tried memtest86 before but it went on for like 4 days and then the results made no sense to me...

thanks!

I never use software to test my RAM. Fortunately for me, I always have spare parts to use. I just stick each RAM one by one to see if the PC will boot safely into Windows. The faulty one will usually be the one that gives error messages or not boot properly. That's the one I throw out and keep the other one. When I buy RAM, I always buy the exact same RAM to the one I have. I usually get two sticks anways so that they are compatible and reduce likely hood of errors.

Back
Top Bottom