Which processor is better?

endeavor1

Beta member
Both have a 400MHz FSB and are socket 478.
1) Pentium 4 w/ 2.0GHz, 256KB cache
2) Celeron w/ 2.8GHz, 128KB cache

Which is better?

The Pentium 4. The architecture is simply better. Also, that's the Northwood core, so it's pretty good.

My motherboard seems to support 400mhz FSB and 256KB L2 Cache.
What will happen if I try to put a CPU with a greater FSB or cache than the motherboard will support? First of all, is it possible?

For example, if I put a pentium 4 3.4ghz with 800mhz FSB and 512 L2 cache in my motherboard, what will my real speeds be?

Celerons are crippled Pentiums... I've heard the likes of "To work out how a Celeron will compare to a real Pentium you half its clockspeed" thrown around, but they're architeture and everything else is built down to a price, so the two can never really be compared on equal terms...

Dont think you could get away with doing what you suggest TBH. I know if you add slower ram to a system, then the overall FSB will be reduced/bottlenecked by the ram, but I would imagine trying to force a CPU with double the Mainboards supported FSB and cache onto the thing would be asking for mucho trouble! Then again, Is it even possible, as generally the mainboards with the required socket, also have the required spec to support that CPU range, if that makes sense.

endeavor said:
My motherboard seems to support 400mhz FSB and 256KB L2 Cache.
What will happen if I try to put a CPU with a greater FSB or cache than the motherboard will support? First of all, is it possible?

For example, if I put a pentium 4 3.4ghz with 800mhz FSB and 512 L2 cache in my motherboard, what will my real speeds be?

It all depends if your motherboard supports 800MHZ, if not, it will bottleneck at 400MHZ

alot of times it will work just not at full speed, so some cache or fsb will be diabled, since the mobo can't support all the speed.

Back
Top Bottom