Molex 4 pin/ power question

R1C0CH3T

Daemon Poster
i have a dell dimension 9100, and i only have one female molex and one male molex available. i'm putting in a bunch of fans and cold cathodes, and was wondering if theres any kind of tiny power supply or something that has tons of molex's. upgrading my powersupply is also out of the question. thanx

Fans and other little add on bits often have a pass through connector. If yours dont you can pick up splitter cables from all the usual soruces for next to nothing. How many fans and cathodes are you adding? Allthough they might not seem like much of a drain, I have seen them tip systems with borderline PSU's over the edge in the past, something worth considering...

ill be having about 3 80 mm fans and two cold cathodes. the cathodes directly plug into the fan controller, no power connectors for them. the 3 fans each need a molex connector though. one connector from the psu also goes into the controller.

Thats odd... I remember the Fan controller I had and the fans connected to it were fed power via it. I'm sure fan controllers usually work by reducing or raising the power the fans recieve and if they're being fed power outside of the controllers control... :confused:
Eitherway your fans will likely have pass through connectors, but if not as I said, Splitter cables are easy and cheap enough to get hold of. Would also be worth checking weather the fans you'll be buying have 4pin Molex or 3pin mainboard style plugs on them and what fittings your Controller will except, as I ended up forking out a ton of postage just to get 4 quids worth of 3-4pin adapters.

Back
Top Bottom