What's the difference between the FX-57 and the 154?

tivaelydoc said:
I was comparing the two on newegg and they look about the same, so what's the difference? Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/766vr

Good question!

They both have the same specifications, which is interesting...
However, I believe the real only difference between the two is the fact that Opterons have 3 incoherent links while the fx-57 only has one.

btw: That link doesn't work :/

tivaelydoc said:
I was comparing the two on newegg and they look about the same, so what's the difference? Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/766vr

it's the socket numbers = more power. It's like asking if an AMD 64 Socket 754 3000 is better than an AMD Socket 939 3000. The 939 is better because the specific socket provides more power or sped or something. In this case, the FX is the winner because the socket is better? I'm making a guess but I think that's why.

Both are Socket 939, which is good. If you like to overclock, go with the Opteron 154, since the Venus core is basically a enhanced San Diego core (provided that you don't get the CABGE "Cabbage" core) with an improved memory controller. It'll be a tad bit slower when it comes to gaming, but it'll own the FX-57 at number crunching anyday. Also, you can overclock the Venus core extremely high with air cooling and barely any raise in voltage. One thing the FX-57 has though, is the unlocked multipliers, which means that you can unlock them and get some pretty decent overclocking out of it (although it's nothing compared to the Opterons).

Oh alright. Is there anything specific that makes the FX better at games? And, why would you buy a FX for 200 more when you can just OC a opteron and get it 3ghz easy?

tivaelydoc said:
Oh alright. Is there anything specific that makes the FX better at games? And, why would you buy a FX for 200 more when you can just OC a opteron and get it 3ghz easy?

There honestly isn't a reason to go to the FX for 200 more. Go with Opteron. I say this because

1) It sounds cooler!

2) It has the same specs as the FX

3) It overclocks higher despite the fact that FX has unlocked multipliers

4) It has 3 (count'em... THREE) incoherent links! 3 of them!! That means that, if you buy a MB that utilizes those links, you can have double the bandwidth for your south bridge.

The FX-57 is totally multiplier unlocked. An overclockers dream! On the Opteron it is only downwards unlocked.

That's why the FX-57 is $200 more expensive. It is an overclockers dream!

And if its got 3 incoherent links, that just means you can have 3 in one system.

Also, they do NOT overclock better! That's wrong!

And finally, I'd prefer an FX-57 to an Opteron 154 if it was about the name, the FX-57 sounds way cooler and has an overclocking reputation

prosser13 said:
The FX-57 is totally multiplier unlocked. An overclockers dream! On the Opteron it is only downwards unlocked.

That's why the FX-57 is $200 more expensive. It is an overclockers dream!

And if its got 3 incoherent, that just means you can have 3 in one system.

Have 3 what?

Back
Top Bottom