Power issue *somewhat Long Read* Please help

TidalWaveTib

Beta member
Ok I have a HP computer that I am having an issue with. Ok about 8 months ago I kept getting an error message stating " there is an error with your fan and the system will shut down in 5 seconds" so I replaced the power supply. Well that worked for ohhhhhhhhhhhh so say 8 months. Now again Im having the same issue. So now I took apart my pc and power supply to clean the fans, well to my surprise after I cleaned it worked for a few weeks. Now today it started to do it again, but the power supply fan is still moving. I put my hand on top of the computer where the power supply is and it was warm, so I unplugged the computer for about 2 hours to see if that helped, but nothing, Im still getting the same error and the computer shuts down after 5 seconds.

Ok I just took apart the power supply to see what I could do. Well I took it out, but kept is connected and took the cover off the supply. Then I plugged it in and powered it on, needless to say it shut off after a few seconds, but I did hear a faint buzzing coming from the power supply after the pc shut down. Well I figured I would try and change the voltage setting on the supply from 110 volts to 120 volts to see if I could hear anything and to my surprise nothing, so I switched it back to 110 and yet a again I could hear buzzing. Im not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. Im wondering if Im looking in the wrong place and its not the power supply and something else

Here is some more info that I just snooped out. Well today I booted it up and pressed f1 to get into bios setup. I went in and checked tp CPU Temp and it was as follows

First turned on
38 Dg Cel / 100 dg Far

5 Minutes
47Deg Cele / 117 Dg Far

10 Mins
52 Dg Cele / 126 Dg Far

Im not sure, but that seems rather hot for celeron processor, but I could be wrong. I dont understand why I can go into setup without it shutting down, but when I try to boot normally it wont let me.

Do you think it would help if I bought a processor fan that attaches directly to the processor?

Model number
DC406A
Introduction date
11-Dec-2002
Countries/regions sold in

United States
Canada

Hardware
Base processor and speed
Celeron 2.0 GHz

400 MHz Front side
Socket mPGA478

Chipset
845GL
Motherboard manufacturer

ASUS
Motherboard specifications

Memory
Component Attributes
RAM (installed)

Allocated to Video 256/2100 DDR

Up to 64MB
Maximum allowed 2 GB (requires replacement of the installed 256 DIMM)
Speed supported PC2100/PC1600
Type DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Two
Open slots One
Hard drive
40GB 5400rpm
CD-RW drive
40x/10x/40x maximum speed
DVD drive
16x maximum
Diskette drive
1.44 MB (3.5-inch)
Fax and data modem
Cheetah 2 V.92 Modem
Video graphics
Integrated in 845GL chipset
Sound/audio
Integrated AC97 audio
Network
Integrated 10/100BT Fast Ethernet
USB specification
USB 2.0
External ports
Port type Quantity
USB Six (two front and four back)
Serial One
Parallel One
PS2 Keyboard One
PS2 Mouse One
Expansion slots (total)
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (two open)
DIMM Two (one open)
AGP No
Drive bays (total)
Bay type Quantity
5.25-inch CD, external Two
3.5-inch HDD, internal One
3.5-inch FDD, external One
3.5-inch (other) On

sounds like the processor fan is frying. you might want to get a bigger and better one, but ive never had a problem like that.

Yeah, something is heating that baby up. How old is the pc? It could be a bad cpu that's heating up, as Ihatedells said. Maybe a bad apply of thermal paste. Wipe off the old stuff with 99% isopropyl (something like that) and apply a new layer of paste. See if that helps...

Well the pc is only about 3 years old. the thing that bothers me is the fact that there is no fan for the processor. Instead of having a fan there is a huge aluminum block over it. Im wondering if I should go to the PC store and pickup a processor cooling fan that mounts directly on top of the processor. Do you think the power supply is the issue at all?

IHateDells said:
sounds like the processor fan is frying. you might want to get a bigger and better one, but ive never had a problem like that.

I doubt that... It sounds like the heatsink is loose on the processor. Try buying thermal paste, clean off the heatsink and processor with rubbing alchohol...Apply it to the processor and heatsink and then reseat the heat sink

TidalWaveTib said:
Well the pc is only about 3 years old. the thing that bothers me is the fact that there is no fan for the processor. Instead of having a fan there is a huge aluminum block over it. Im wondering if I should go to the PC store and pickup a processor cooling fan that mounts directly on top of the processor. Do you think the power supply is the issue at all?

Or it could be the fan if it's not present :p

I doubt it's the PSU

Quinton McLeod said:

Or it could be the fan if it's not present :p

I doubt it's the PSU

Fan......................Waht fan, There aint no stinken fan :) Yeah to my surprise when I opened it up the first time I was amazed to see NO cooling fan for the processor, Just one big hunk of junk heatsink. Ok Im going to head out to CompUSA to pick up some thermal paste, while Im out do you think I should get a fan, if so where would I plug it into? I was thinking about plugging it into the useless so CALLED intake fan slot and just leaving it unplugged, because I cant see what that thing is doing.

My dell doesnt have a CPU fan. So get a new fan and heatsink, new thermal paste, and your CPU will be as cool as a cucumber :)

same on my dell, its got a fan on the back with a vent that goes to the heatsink, i need a fan but my cpu has never run hot cause i cant overclock it. :(

Back
Top Bottom