Difference b/w these?

gabel1

Baseband Member
Can someone explain the difference to me between the two ip addresses when I do an ipconfig command? I have one under my local connection - 192.168.x.x and then one under my PPP adapter verizon - 141.151.xxx.xxx. what is the difference between these two?

192.168.x.x is a private address behind a router. The range 192.168.0.0 has been set aside (along with 10.0.0.0 and 172.16.0.0) for use by companies or home networks.

141.151.x.x is a public address that is unique and provided by your ISP. No one else can use the specific address that has been assigned to you if its statically assigned or until the lease has been released and reassigned.

IT aLl depends what it says to the right of the ip address in ip config. I seriously doubt you will see your wan address from your isp since you more than likely have a router. Probably it is your DNS....What does it say sa this ip address is in ipconfig.?

tractorboy said:
I seriously doubt you will see your wan address from your isp since you more than likely have a router.

www.myipaddress.com. You'll see your WAN IP from your ISP ... even if you're behind a router. It's not his DNS ... he states he sees the address on his PPP (PPPoA or PPPoE) within his router from his ISP Verizon.

Back
Top Bottom