nVidia vs ATI

JoshSpence

Baseband Member
I am such a noob... up until today I had no difference what nVidia and ATI meant and so I paid no attention to them. I now realise there is a difference and am wondering what brand is better for video rendering, encoding, decoding and compression, stuff like that.

Thanks,
Josh

There is no real difference now to tell the truth in terms of companies.

I mean, they are both very good at making cards to do everything, so there is no, ATI is better than Nvidia, in terms of spec.

There are though many cards you can buy from each company that'll of course be better than older versions of cards and so forth.

Plus, Encoding, Decoding, Compression tend to be more the processors job than a video cards job, which would bring you onto Intel and AMD lines if you didn't know about them already :p

Hmm... I've been told ATI is better but I was not told why... I heard they run cooler but I'm not sure?

JoshSpence said:
Hmm... I've been told ATI is better but I was not told why... I heard they run cooler but I'm not sure?

Not necessarily...
Right now, the Nvidia 7800 is the best bang for your buck right now... ATi does have a more powerful card out, but it's way more expensive...

When it comes to ATi or Nvidia, it really all comes down to preference... I'm an ATi fan myself, so I perfer them... But it really doesn't matter

Yeah, it doesn't really.

If you want to play the latest games though at really high settings for a very long time, I'll have to say its best to go for one of the Nvidia 7800's right now.

As for cooling, thats not really true. All video cards run at high temps anyway when running games, and can get to around 70 degrees easy, though doesn't seem to bother them.

JoshSpence said:

Well currently nVidia has the best card around. But it changes, soon ati comes up with a better card, then nVidia releases a new & better card...

I'd say that currently nVidia is better because they have good cards for cheap (6600GT and 6800GS) and have the best card around (7800GTX 512mb).
And I prefer nVidia. Some other ppl prefer ati, so are even so weird that claim that ati has the better card when benchmarks shows that nVidia has the best one at the moment. :)
And some have their reasons for liking ati and will say that ati is better at the moment, which can be true.

But if u go like "nVidia is the best because they have the best card" u might have to change it to "ati is the best because they have the best card" in a few month.

So it's really hard to say which one is better.

mammikoura said:
Well currently nVidia has the best card around. But it changes, soon ati comes up with a better card, then nVidia releases a new & better card...

I'd say that currently nVidia is better because they have good cards for cheap (6600GT and 6800GS) and have the best card around (7800GTX 512mb).
And I prefer nVidia. Some other ppl prefer ati, so are even so weird that claim that ati has the better card when benchmarks shows that nVidia has the best one at the moment. :)
And some have their reasons for liking ati and will say that ati is better at the moment, which can be true.

But if u go like "nVidia is the best because they have the best card" u might have to change it to "ati is the best because they have the best card" in a few month.

So it's really hard to say which one is better.

lol

Well, I agree that Nvidia is better with the 7800 GTX... But, the ATi X1800 is slightly faster than the 7800 GTX... Not by much, but it is slightly more powerful... It also has a higher potential since it's a nm (nanometer) process and the core can go beyond 500mhz

Quinton McLeod said:

lol

Well, I agree that Nvidia is better with the 7800 GTX... But, the ATi X1800 is slightly faster than the 7800 GTX... Not by much, but it is slightly more powerful... It also has a higher potential since it's a nm (nanometer) process and the core can go beyond 500mhz

well there is 2 kinds of 7800GTX. And also atleast 2 kinds of x1800.

The 7800GTX 256mb has almost identical performance to the x1800xt. The x1800xt is better in like 3dmark05 etc but in gaming they are about the same. One of them is better in some game by a few fps and the other one is better in some other game with a few fps.

But the 7800GTX 512mb is alot better than the 7800GTX 256mb, and also alot better than the x1800xt.

And the BFG & XFX 7800GTX 512mb models have 580mhz as their stock clock speed.

I want to congradulate you guys on not making this thread a fan-boy war where you have useless posts. So hats off to you...

But back on topic..

ATi and nVidia are both awesome graphics cards companies. nVidia has a sweet card out, but ATi has a better dual GPU set-up then nVidia does. ATi's dual GPU is Crossfire, which has more options then nVidia's SLI. Although, nVidia has come up with SLI x16, which is twice as fast as your regular SLI, which stands for Scalable Link Interface.

But yes, there is no, "ATi pwns nVidia!!!11!!!!!1!1" They're both really good, and at one time or another one has the better card...it switches back and forth.

1337DuD3 said:
I want to congradulate you guys on not making this thread a fan-boy war where you have useless posts. So hats off to you...

But back on topic..

ATi and nVidia are both awesome graphics cards companies. nVidia has a sweet card out, but ATi has a better dual GPU set-up then nVidia does. ATi's dual GPU is Crossfire, which has more options then nVidia's SLI. Although, nVidia has come up with SLI x16, which is twice as fast as your regular SLI, which stands for Scalable Link Interface.

But yes, there is no, "ATi pwns nVidia!!!11!!!!!1!1" They're both really good, and at one time or another one has the better card...it switches back and forth.

The Crossfire is great, but... When using mismatched ATi video cards, the speed slows down to the max speed of the weakest card... Which sucks :/

Back
Top Bottom