Problem with booting multiple operating systems/Partitions

greenchicken_13

Beta member
Hello,
On my hardrive I have three partitions, up until yesterday the first had windows 98. The second had windows XP. The third was just for extra files such as music and videos. When I restarted/ turned on my computer it would come up with a list of bootable options(Windows 98, and windows xp professional). I decided that I would like to try linux. So I went through the process of installing Simply MEPIS 2004.04. It finished installing and told me that I needed to reboot (this time not booting through the cd) so I did this. But when I switched it to boot from the hardrive/ operating systems, it stops loading before the list of OS comes up and wont boot. The only way I can boot it is through CD or floppy.
How do I fix this problem so I can boot to the operating systems on the hard drive?
Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: (forgot to include: ) After I figured out that it was not booting I formatted the drive with linux and it still wouldn't work. So the only things on there are Windows xp & 98

which partition did you installing linux on?? and do you get any error messages etc or just a blank screen?

it was the third partition ( E: )
It wasn't a blank scren or an error scren. It had a whole bunch information about my computer.
But, I gave up and just formatted everything. Since there wasn't anything of that much importance I didn't care much.

Ok, when you installed Linux your supost to add this directory to the list of Bootable O/S's. I cant help much at this second as i do not have my notes on nand about this but, I looks like it wants to boot directly into Linux but the swich comand is also trying to load at the same time to, so you will not get nether. Uninstall Lynex for now and you should still have the other 2 O/S's intact and on a switchable boot.

There is a file somewere in xp or 98 (depends on which one you installed 1st) were you can edit and add the 3rd O/S. Try it and let us know the outcome.

If you visit my foum tonight at about 9pm apx i should have some more info on this matter at hand ok. To get to my fourm please follow link in sig.

Back
Top Bottom