windows firewall question?

I like Zone Alarm because I have had it for 2 years now, and I haven't had a virus in 2 years. Adds up to me. Windows firewall might work for some, but it has no outbound protection, so anything from your pc can connect to the internet without asking.

I had dial up for the longest time, and I can't say that I recall any internet slowdown with Zone Alarm. My friend uses Windows firewall on his pc, and the internet works at normal speeds there too.

mammikoura said:
u were talking about giving facts and reasons to ur claims.
But still I don't see any to support that claim. :confused:

and as for facts that windows firewall isn't as good as many others.
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=76&perpage=1&pagenum=1
and read the text!

Good job..........that's exactly what I'm talking about. Support the opinions with some real information or testing that means something.......not just "I don't like it" or "it's junk".
Sort of like taking your car to the mechanic and saying it don't work! :rolleyes:

BTW - This thread (among numerous others) supports my claim. :cool:

windows firewall is just one way. it only blocks incomming and does not block outgoing. So if you get a trojan on your pc that is dialing out you will never know. If you do not like norton anti virusus try f secure or panda, both also now remove spyware.

Well ... i still continue to use Windows Firewall despite some of its disadvantages, why ? Simply because when i tried Zone Alarm Pro, it blocked my network connection, rendering one of my networked computers unable to access the internet ... i tried to get it to work but eventually i gave up :(

dyserq said:
Well ... i still continue to use Windows Firewall despite some of its disadvantages, why ? Simply because when i tried Zone Alarm Pro, it blocked my network connection, rendering one of my networked computers unable to access the internet ... i tried to get it to work but eventually i gave up :(

Same here.

dyserq said:

Let me explain something to you... The reason why the Windows Firewall sucks is because:

1) Its as what everyone said... It only blocks incoming packets and not outgoing

2) It allows Windows System Services to get unrestricted access to the Internet. This is a vulnerbility that has been exploited before... And yet Microsoft has YET to fix it... Remember the MSBlaster virus? It took advantage of one of Microsoft System Services... And still to this day, those services (under Window's Firewall) have unrestricted access to the Internet

3) It blocks packets that should not be blocked... Or many times filters packets and rearranges headers found in the packets... Making the packets invalid for the applications that need them (most commonly games)

4) It's buggy. It's not a full proof firewall. It only does half the job and does a horrible job doing half of that.

So, if you're going to use a firewall, use a real firewall. The Windows Firewall has been hacked to kingdom come and has vulnerbilities. I should know! I've once hosted a game server using just the Window's Firewall and before I knew it, I ended up with a buffer overflow virus (thanks to unrestricted Windows Services)

dyserq said:
Yeah ... same here, i have no other firewall guarding my computer apart from Windows XP SP2 one ... it's perfectly fine mind you, never had an infection ...

that its detected and logged :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom