New HD wont format

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
thats right, i just baught a 40gig WD from newegg and i install the hardrive and then windows loads just fine and then when it's formating it stops/hangs at 27%...it just stays there, no error messages or anything, just hangs at 27%...so any idea's? i already tried plugging it into my computer and using the disk management in windows 2 format it but it did the same thing.... and lagged my poor little 4GB hd in the process, so any suggestions before i get an RMA from newegg?

MooseMan said:
thats right, i just baught a 40gig WD from newegg and i install the hardrive and then windows loads just fine and then when it's formating it stops/hangs at 27%...it just stays there, no error messages or anything, just hangs at 27%...so any idea's? i already tried plugging it into my computer and using the disk management in windows 2 format it but it did the same thing.... and lagged my poor little 4GB hd in the process, so any suggestions before i get an RMA from newegg?

Why are you using Windows to format??

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download a Windows 98 OEM boot disk. Boot into DOS and in the A: drive type format <drive letter here>

What o_O you can use the Windows XP disc 2 format can't you, well i've done it so hey you must be able 2. :D I dunno what is happening maybe leave it on for ages and see if it moves?

yeah you can, there's millions of ways to do.. doing it on windows should take like 10 seconds MAX.. dont know why it freezes..

What 10 seconds O_O took me bout 30+ mins to format my 40GB HD (Thought it was reformatting but it was still formatting after i deleted the partition so that would still be formatting). Took bout 1 hour to format my friends 80GB HD so i dunno what you are talking about, maybe i missed something. >_<

acekrn said:
yeah you can, there's millions of ways to do.. doing it on windows should take like 10 seconds MAX.. dont know why it freezes..
your thinking quick format option arn't u? :p i'd rather let it go through the whole drive instead of quick lol

Yea, I don't understand that either. I've done both and nothing changed. Who knows.

when u do a full format it checks every sector of the hardrive, quick just checks the system space and some other thing so it doesn't take as long

The reason why it hangs at 27% is because of a bad sector. It could be only one or it could bemultiple. RMA your Hard drive

I have two HDD of 120GB that had a forced format, but it didn't do anything. One hangs at 70% and the other at 42%

Back
Top Bottom