Overclocking?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I am pretty familar when it comes to computers, but i one thing i do not know about is overclocking. I hear it makes you computer run quicker than it should. Can you please tell me what it does excately, whether i need any different hardware and the risks involved.

Also, what is the difference between the AMD and the Pentium. i have always used pentium and was wondering what the AMD is???
All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanking-you,
Matt

AMD stands for Advanced Micro Devices. They are Intel's number one competitor in microprocessing. AMD is currently the leader in CPU innovations and boot Intel down to number 2.

Their current line of CPU's are the powerful AMD Athlon 64 processor. They have different 'flavors' depending on what type of performance suited for you:

Athlon 64
Athlon 64 FX (High performance CPU)
Athlon 64 X2 (Dual Core)

Server CPU's include their Opteron, and Opteron Dual Core CPU.

For overclocking, you don't need special hardware. You do it in the computer BIOS. Altering the HT settings, RAM timings are common in Athlon systems with Intel using FSB increments. Video cards can also be overclocked using RivaTuner and Coolbits for Nvidia cards. ATi cards, I have no clue. Risks involved are overheating. OC it too high, you risk overheating CPU and GPU (video card). Computer may lock up at high clocks too. Perhaps due to excessive heat build up or unbalanced overclock.

Hi,

Thank-you for the information, it is much appreciated. Just one more question, if i was to go out and buy a new system, say a 3.0ghz, what cooling devices would i need and what speeds could i up it to approximately?

Thanking you,

Matt

Are you planning to build a new PC yourself or complete computer system already built? Complete retail systems such as Dell, Compaq, etc. generally aren't OC friendly and will restrict or limit what you can do with them. There are aftermarket fans/heatsink combo you can use to replace your stock ones for the CPU that will allow an OC up to 400-500 MHz. Any higher will get too warm for air cooling. Water cooling is another option for the CPU too, but at a much higher cost. You can OC like a mother using that method like up to 4GHz probably.

Back
Top Bottom