computer coma?

ndsbass

Baseband Member
ive got an old dell (i believe its a foxconn mobo) that used to work, but my friend messed with it and now i cannot get any video or anything. ive checked powersupply, used dif video cards, etc nothing seems to work. any ideas?

how much does a computer need to do basic startup tasks, i.e. everything bios related? processor, ram, etc?

any help appreciated, thanks

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? It's funny you should mention Foxconn. I have a friend that works at Foxconn right here in Ontario, California. She tells me that they are extremely cheap and inferior products. Stupid Dell using cheap parts. She's one of the Operations Manager there.

Well you dont need ram to boot up, and it sounds like he cant ever get boot up. Because you cant run programs, but you should be able to ONLY run windows.. or so i have been told...

ndsbass said:
ive got an old dell (i believe its a foxconn mobo) that used to work, but my friend messed with it and now i cannot get any video or anything. ive checked powersupply, used dif video cards, etc nothing seems to work. any ideas?

how much does a computer need to do basic startup tasks, i.e. everything bios related? processor, ram, etc?

any help appreciated, thanks

Basic start up tasks? For Windows XP, you'd need 256 RAM, 500MHz PENITUM or AMD (NOT CELERON) Processor, maybe throw in a cheap graphics card such as the 9200/MX420. That will run your comp pretty fast. The only thing I would upgrade is the ram, make it 512 or even 768 if it's possible.

WHole thing should be around 200 - 300 dollars, btu with only 256 ram, and no graphics, you're looking at 200 or 250.

But wha are the specs on that dell, and tell us everything he has done with it since you loaned it to him, and the last reported time it booted up.

HRHunteRHR said:
Basic start up tasks? For Windows XP, you'd need 256 RAM, 500MHz PENITUM or AMD (NOT CELERON) Processor, maybe throw in a cheap graphics card such as the 9200/MX420. That will run your comp pretty fast. The only thing I would upgrade is the ram, make it 512 or even 768 if it's possible.

WHole thing should be around 200 - 300 dollars, btu with only 256 ram, and no graphics, you're looking at 200 or 250.

But wha are the specs on that dell, and tell us everything he has done with it since you loaned it to him, and the last reported time it booted up.

I have a celeron and it works a-ok!

trdcorolla has it right...you need to be a little more specific....any beeps, lights on the keyboard etc?

im talking like no bios.(or at least no video from bios) im wondering if he corrupted the eeprom or whatever its stored on. i dont no what he did to it all i no is it was working when i messed with it and then he basically screwed with everything. one thing i noticed is he switched the power supply from 115v to 210( or w/e the other setting is) with the little switch in the back, which i am guessing is the supposed to be based on the outlet (fricking idiot). i have had this comp for a while and its worked ok before, i used to turn it on and after about 20 seconds i would get 3 beeps, but yesterday i just took it apart and put it back together (case mod) and everything sounded fine, i.e. i think it passed the POST (isnt that bios though?)since it beeped once but i still dont get anything

@mr. monger - how do i go about doing this?

@TRDcorrolla - i agree foxconn is pretty crappy but what the hell, i am a sucker for cheap stuff. usually foxconn has the lowest prices on mobos on newegg.

Back
Top Bottom