Graphics Card

nstepho

In Runtime
Hello,
I have just purchased a new computer for a low price with the intention of upgrading the current 256mb shared memory to 512mb, and also a new 256mb graphics card. I have a celeron 2.6g processor and will use the computer primarily for gaming. I don't want to spend much and I was looking at a 256MB ATi RADEON 9550 3D GRAPHIC CARD. Is this card any good? Will it work on my computer? (I am unsure of the whole "8X AGP VGA DVI" part) If not, could you please specify a decent 256mb graphics card that isn't too expensive. Thanks.
(PS, I only have AGP and PCI slots, no PCI-Express)

I have a celeron 2.6g processor and will use the computer primarily for gaming.

That's your first problem.

The 9550 is an ok card I guess, it can run most games but if you're really going to be gaming get a different card.

The processor is slow, and so is the graphics card.

If you got a good graphics card, you might be able to use it for gaming. It would also be an idea to upgrade the CPU.

U ain't making that a good gaming machine without changing the cpu, mobo, ram and vid card.

But since u said "not too expensive" so I'd say get 1GB of ram (maybe $140) and a 6600GT (maybe $140 too) How much wattage does the current psu have?
I'm guessing that u will need to buy a new one so that means about $70 more.

That would give u a quite nice computer, with $350.
Maybe not able to get high settings and high reso at all games, but will give u enough fps to play new games well with quite good graphics settings.

Then, it would be a good idea to buy a very cheap motherboard and a processor off eBay or second hand, like an AMD Athlon :)

Haha a celeron for gaming. Get the PNY 6600GT off Newegg.com Good price good performace.

nstepho said:
Thanks. I will buy the memory and graphics card first and see how it goes.

check the psu!
If the psu is too small for the vid card then either the vid cards performance is going to suffer big time or it's not going to work at all.

Back
Top Bottom