Floppy Disk Problem

Elizabeth1977

Beta member
Hi everyone! I sure hope this is in the right forum, if not - I apologize.

I got rid of my old Dell Dimension 4300 a few months ago and got a brand new HP Pavillion a1050y. However, before I got rid of my DELL I made sure that I saved all of my information to several pre-formatted floppy disks.

When I got my new HP Pavillion a1050y system I was shocked to learn computers were no longer made with floppy drives. So, in order to use the information that I stored to my floppies I was finding myself on the phone with HP Sales buying a removable floppy drive.

Up until now I was able to access the information on one of my disks without any problems. Now, I can't open my floppy disk. It's telling me the disk isn't formatted and asks me if I'd like to format it now. I am a bit confused as to why this is happening and, needless to say, I'm upset because it contained some really important documents like my résumé and cover letter, which I can't afford to loose.

I know I should be learning to save everything to CD now, but still have yet to figure that out. I'm sure it's not that hard to do, but it's something I just haven't made time for yet.

I'd like to know why the computer is telling me my floppy isn't formatted and whether or not my information is salvageable (retrievable). If it's not salvageable then I'll have to face the fact that all of the information's gone and just have to do my best to reconstruct certain information and start all over again. If, however, it's salvageable then I need to know how I can salvage everything.

I was going to take the floppy disk along with my removeable floppy drive and another blank floppy disk over to my friend's to see if it'd work on my old DELL. If it did then I was planning on trying to copy the information to another floppy disk.

You can just imagine my frustration right now. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom