NEw Computer plz rate

Tobicles

Solid State Member
OK here is a computer i will be purchasing soon in january. I am Australian and that is what the cost of everything will be in. If there is any suggestions keep in mind that $1400 Australian is my absolute maximum. I will be using this computer for gaming and that is about it.

CPU -$237.70-AMD Opteron 146 Processor, Socket 939 ~ stock in by january

Mobo -$169 -DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity (free insured nationwide delivery)

Ram -$129 -OCZ Value 2.5 PC3200 1Gb Kit (512Mbx2) CAS2.5 Dual Channel (1024Mb PC-3200 DC) DDR RAM

Optical Drive -$69.00 -LG dual layer DVD Burner compatible with all formats

PSU - $114.70- Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W ATX Power Supply, with Advanced Cable Management, Unique Fan System Design

HDD - $99-Western Digital 160 gig 7200rpm SATAII JS

FDD - $28-Floppy 1.44 BLACK Various Brands

Vid - $497-InnoVISION GF 7800GT ~stock in by January

TOTAL: $1342

also does anyone know how much the prices on any of this hardware will drop by after christmas.

Yeah very nice, not bad price as well, how about buying 2x1GB ram sticks, not much more expensive, and worth it,

yeah i considered it but the performance increase vs the price increase really isnt worth it for me. The only game in which this makes a huge difference is Battlefield 2 and i dont play this. :) That price is also probably the maximum i could afford and i would only spend any more if there was any hugely compelling reason too. thanks for the reply. plus those 2x512 sticks are good dual channel stuff. Oh and i plan on overclocking the opteron to atleast 2.6ghz

Since that one can overclock to FX speeds easily.

RAM is just a little bit more expensive? If you want good 2x1GB RAM, that's 300USD. That's three times the price of 2x512MB value RAM.

I don't know about Opterons. I know people are saying that they can OC like hell because they're not locked and all, they're cheap in price compared to the FX, they have big cache, dual core, and all those goodies. Spec-wise, it probably looks good for gaming, but until I see more people jump on the bandwagon on getting Opterons and actually telling me what they think of it or if I can see some hard evidence using Opterons in gaming (benchmarks), I will still be very skeptic about it. All I hear about for gaming from people I know, PC magazines, TechTV, and such are that the Athlons are best for gaming (FX).

Also, is that motherboard even capable of supporting that Opteron CPU? I don't see very many boards available for that type of server CPU unless you go Tyan or something that cost a bundle.

um get an Nvidia 7800GTX or spend 80$ more and get the Ati x1800xt which is better than the GTX

Back
Top Bottom