playstaion3

PS3 launches in March 2006........................not in the US, but in Japan. US should get it in November 2006, around that time. Same time when Microsoft release the all new Windows Vista. Estimated price for PS3 is between $300-$400. It has to maintain competitiveness with the XBox 360.

PS3 offer Blu-Ray technology which is a new video standard to watching movies and such. Probably a proprietary technology, but it's Sony. They're always coming out with something like that. Overall, it's a more powerful gaming system compared to the PS2 with the "Cell" powering it.

PS2 specs:

CPU:

Emotion Engine
System Clock: 294.912 MHz
Bus Width: 128 bit
Cache: 16 kb
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

GFX:

Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 256 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
Memory: 4 MB VRAM

Sound:

SPU2+CPU
Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)
Memory: 2 MB

I/O Processor
CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
Clock Frequency: 33.8688 MHz or 36.864 MHz (selectable)
Sub Bus: 32 Bit
Interface Types: FireWire/i-Link IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Communication via PC-Card PCMCIA Type III

Drive
DVD-ROM 4x (24x CDROM)

PS3 specs:

Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU:

RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound:

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

The PS3 is rumored to launch Spring of 2006, at around $400 or maybe more. Ken Kutaragi said that it would "be expensive" and that the whole philosophy is that they want you to work and earn money for the PS3. Other than that, no offical date or price has been announced by Sony.

It's main strength will be BluRay, which will be evident when games start getting bigger, although it's not that big of a problem right now. The downside of BluRay is it's price (since it uses a different manufacturing process), every blank BluRay Disc is about $5 each. So it's not really the standard yet, but in the future, it may be. It has also been confirmed that the PS3 will not ship with a hard drive, meaning the Xbox 360 will be the only one console to retail with one (unless Sony decides to do the "package" thing like Microsoft did).

The final word is that the PS3 will definately be a powerful system, but the Xbox 360 will provide lots of competition throughout the whole console war (more than Sony would like). Nintendo will also take a stab at the PS3 in terms of affordability and pricing, because the Revolution will be designed to be cheap and affordable for everyone (it's basically a more powerful version of the GameCube).

Resident Evil 5, haha. Both the 360 and the PS3 will have it. I've seen screenshots for it already and it OWNS. So real and cinematic. Seems like all games are like that now. I remember CEO of Sony said that the new PS3 will have a more cinematic effect.

Yeah, I guess Capcom dropped their Nintendo exclusivity and is making Resident Evil 5 for all platforms. To be honest, it's kinda strange seeing so many developers making so many cross-platform games...there aren't many exclusive games this time around.

I can't wait for the ps3, MGS4 woohoo!!!

I want a ps3 more than an xbox360 (actually, I don't want one at all).

But I still want the revolution more, Metroid Prime 3, OMG!!1

:p

Sony would like a worldwide simultaneous release, but that's almost impossible. Japan will get it first and Europe will get theirs proably the same time US gets it which is very late next year.

Microsoft is still the only company to pull of a worldwide launch simultaneously in 18 days. :D Although I have to admit that the North American launch was kinda, eh. Either way, europe is selling nicely and Japan is off to a decent start, considering the majority of the country is Pro-Sony and Pro-PlayStation.

Back
Top Bottom