what is better performance wise a pentium 4 or pentium M

troy

Solid State Member
what is better performance wise a pentium 4 or pentium M. which of these to is better. imnot to bothered about how they eat up battery i just want to no which offers the better performance

Pent M. Take Any p.M speed and multipy it by 1.3, to get the equalviant speed of the p.4. If that makes any sence to you.. lol

In a laptop, Pentium 4 is out of the question. They run so hot and tend to be more expensive than better performing DTR Athlon 64's, so Pentium M.

Is the athlon proccessor or the semphron processor better than the pentium M then ?

Well, it depends what you want them for.

A Pentium M is basically a Pentium 3 mixed with a Pentium 4 - so it has latest features but a short pipeline. This makes it very good at unpredictable tasks, like gaming, but not so good at predictable ones, like video encoding.

The Athlon 64/Sempron have a slightly longer pipeline, meaning that they are good at games but good at everything else too.

The Pentium 4 has a very long pipeline, making it not so good at games but very good at video encoding.

The Pentium M also runs a lot cooler, it doesn't even need a fan on the heatsink. The downside is that their quite expensive, nearly £200 for a 2ghz one, and a good motherboard will cost you nearly £150. If you game a lot, want a quiet PC, or just want something different, their excellent.

arrizx said:
Pent M. Take Any p.M speed and multipy it by 1.3, to get the equalviant speed of the p.4. If that makes any sence to you.. lol

No - your wrong.

if u were to recomend 1 of the processors to go into my laptop which one would it be. im on budget of £650-700 and will be using it for some gaming and using many applicatins at once when doing coursework.

For your laptop?

The Pentium M - quiet, good performance, cheap. Look at the Super Pi times for an example

Even in some desktops nowadays, the pent. m is being used. Why? It runs cool, quiet, and the performance is incredible. The pent. 4 is dead. The prescott core... enough said. The pent. M is a great cpu and intel knows that.

For your price range, I would recommend a Turion; ML or MT, don't matter. If you need battery life, than a 21W TDP Pentium M would be in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom