Problem Help Please!!

acekrn

In Runtime
okay, this is how it goes..

i have an smc wireless router.
i plugged all the hardware and software components correctly.
internet was connected, HOWEVER...

only google would load up.. hotmail, msn, most games, this forums wouldnt load up... (counter-strike worked... weird..)

so basically i disconnected the router connection and i reconnected to my original isp connection.. now the internet works like it used to.. but the 2nd computer STILL is prevented from going anywhere but google... anyone know whats going on?

which one do i connect with, what, where how, OMFG HELP ME!

i believe i have found a solution.. but i need someone to explain it to me in english.. or at least in terms of smc.. because the poster of the thread below has a different router from mine.. anyway here's the "solution":

OK, Linksys got back in touch with me and their suggestion worked!

"reply to QuinnHarlech
Here's the solution, at least for me:

Configure the modem to auto-negotiate the PPPoE connection and have a local IP address of 192.168.1.1

Configure the router to have a local IP address of 192.168.2.1 Go ahead and turn off DHCP on the router as you won't need it.

I then configured the router to use a static IP address of 192.168.1.47 and a DNS entry of 192.168.1.1, i.e. it lets to modem do all the talking. You can then either use static local address of the form 192.168.2.x or else let the router act as a DHCP server for the local computers. If you use a static IP address, then you say that the gateway and DNS server are both 192.168.2.1 (the router).

Everything seems to work just fine now. I have good connectivity and the Linksys router is acting as a proper firewall.

Thanks to everyone for their help."

acekrn said:
Configure the modem to auto-negotiate the PPPoE connection and have a local IP address of 192.168.1.1

I'm not sure about this one, but it means go into the modem settings and in the WAN connection type chose PPPoE, enter your username and password that were given to you by your ISP. As for how to get into the modem settings I'm not sure of that, I'm sorry but it should be in the installation manual, the number to access it should be something like 192.168.1.1

acekrn said:
Configure the router to have a local IP address of 192.168.2.1 Go ahead and turn off DHCP on the router as you won't need it.

This means go into your internet browser and type 192.168.1.1 which should be the address for the router configuration, the password is admin unless you've changed it before. Now in the first page, where it says LAN IP Address, it might look like this: 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.2.1 and from now on that will be the address from which you'll access the router settings. Go to the DHCP tab and disable it, always save changes before going to another tab.

acekrn said:
I then configured the router to use a static IP address of 192.168.1.47 and a DNS entry of 192.168.1.1, i.e. it lets to modem do all the talking. You can then either use static local address of the form 192.168.2.x or else let the router act as a DHCP server for the local computers. If you use a static IP address, then you say that the gateway and DNS server are both 192.168.2.1 (the router).
I don't understand this because I've never seen a DNS number being 192.168.anything.anything, it should be a number like a real IP address, not a local IP address. Just try the rest, it might work that way.

when you do a search on google, does it work? or does only the main google page work?

if only a few websites work and others dont, i reckon its a DNS problem. Are you sure you have the correct DNS ip on your computer?

hm.. i dont believe i do have the correct dns..

I think thats the problem as well.. this is my first time configuring a router so I'm absolutely clueless about 90% of the things i'm doing!

and YES, only a few pages open up etc.. i CAN search.. but most pages stall up and dont end up coming out..

not sure if mentioned this.. too lazy to check.. BUTT this may help you guys answer my question:

When i ping from cmd prompt, i seem to be getting positve results from any server... but when i actually type the url in the browsers, i seem to get no results..

anyway, hope taht helps :) thanks for ur time guys

acekrn said:
When i ping from cmd prompt, i seem to be getting positve results from any server... but when i actually type the url in the browsers, i seem to get no results..

If you can ping external IP addresses (such as 72.14.207.104) but not host names (such as www.google.com) then this is obviously a DNS related problem.

If this is the case, you're going to want to go into your routers setup. Then find the option somewhere under the DNS section that says something to the regard of "automatic from ISP". That option will allow your router to receive a DNS address automatically from your Internet service provider.

Back
Top Bottom