Can I upgrade processor?

Jayj2k1

Baseband Member
Ok. As some of you may know, I purchased this cheap Celeron Emachines for my father for $150 altogether including a 17" Flat CRT monitor which is not bad. However, I think that this may be a little bit too slow for him. What I'm thinking about doing is upgrading the processor for him. Here are some basic specs right now.

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 340
(256KB L2 cache, 2.93GHz, 533MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2
Intel® 865GV chipset
768MB DDR 400 RAM
Expandable to 2GB
80GB (7200 RPM, 2MB cache 1
48x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
GeForce MX 4000 128MB PCI Card

Now I think that the Intel 865GV Chipset is Socket 478. I happen to find a P4 Presscott 2.4 Ghz Processor on NewEgg for like $120 which isn't bad. I think the L2 cache is 1MB compared to the 256KB on the Celeron that he has now.
Here is a link to the site so you can check out the processor.

Here is the P4 processor right here. Click link

So this brings me to 2 questions.
1) Would this processor be compatible with the motherboard that is alread in the tower?
2) Would this P4 processor be a good deal?

Good looking out ya!

Well does the mobo say it supports P4's and celerons? But I'd gues that it supports both, but the only way to be 100% sure is to check what the mobo specs say.

How can I find out whether the exact motherboard will support Pentium 4 processors? I'm pretty sure that I can't contact Emachines about the matter because they will say that it is not their job to give information about customization in that matter.

Download a program called EVEREST it tells you your computer specs and will show you your motherboard type and manufacter then you can just go see it on the official site or just search it in google or what not and find out.

AOD said:
Download a program called EVEREST it tells you your computer specs and will show you your motherboard type and manufacter then you can just go see it on the official site or just search it in google or what not and find out.

Yeah. If it doesn't say anything about what kind of processors it supports (try to check from multiple sites) then I can't say for sure. But I'd think that if it's not compatible it would be mentioned in some of the sites.

Just from the specs that I showed ya as well as the website, ya can't tell me if it will work?

we need the specific motherboard. An 865GV should (not guranteed) support P4 northwoods. What core is that Cele D?

Back
Top Bottom