Need the right advice!!

qwertsta

Solid State Member
Hey guys, i was just recently given a free computer. It is a very old pc, it was a win 95 and then had 98 installed. It has at the top of my memory a 5 gb hard drive, 128mb of ram and so on... Ok here my question i dont know if i should save up and buy a new pc or do up this pc if it is possible. If it is possible to do up this computer here is what i want to do to it, Buy a new mother board, a 100gb+ hard drive, 512mb of ram and a good graphics card for games, their might be some other stuff what is needed for it to run properly so if it does please reply saying so..., also i will have to buy usb ports??? The computer is in great working order, very fast as it has nothing on it lol. Also can you tell me how to re format computers (I have the win 98 second adittion disc)... Also for them parts i need can you guys do me a average price for each part. And lucky last is it possible to do these mods to a old computer (i dont care what it looks like) and would it be cheaper then going out and buying a brand new top of the line pc or modding this pc? :D

Thank you and i hope somone can help me out :)

If your wanting to run WoW and what you are saying list the specs for this rig. If the computer was running off of 95 then to 98; just buy a new comp. If you want a cheap computer then build one yourself. Try www.newegg.com or www.Pcclub.com. If you want a great awesome computer then your going to have to put SoMe money into it. The more money you put into your computer the better the results will be. Also get Windows xp it runs better than 98.

No point in trying to upgrade that old pc. The parts u can use are the case (if it's the same size as most modern ones, atx I think) the cd-drive (if it has one :D, but I'd just buy a dvd-drive) and u can always put that old hdd in to give u a few gigs of extra space if u want. All of the other parts are so old that there is no point in using them.

Just give us the amount of $$$ u want to spend on a new pc and we will fix something up.

Computer specs
Genuine intel???
Pentium 1
68 mb of ram instead of the 128 i thought it had (I am on my family computer giving this info not the one what i am describing). Ok guys i dont understand if you said it is possible or not? Yes it has a cd drive its a old diamond view 48x, if i can do this pc up will be transferring my dvd/cd-rw burner to the old pc. I am wanting to spend at the least of $500 au dollars. One more time, can i buy a decent mother board, 100gb+ hd, and about 512mb of ram and a decent graphics card??? Sorry i aint gifted with pc's. The pc i am using now is win xp. I aint impressed with the version. I heard that win 98 was one of the best versions made for gaming as they dont have firewalls or somthing and dont cause lag when playing games??? I dont know lol. :confused :confused: :D thanks.

One more thing it has the old turbo button and screen :D It shows 66 and if i hit turbo she hits 166 i dont know what this means but it leave it on the 166.

qwertsta said:
One more thing it has the old turbo button and screen :D It shows 66 and if i hit turbo she hits 166 i dont know what this means but it leave it on the 166.

hahahhaha lmao! I love the turbo button.

"One more time, can i buy a decent mother board, 100gb+ hd, and about 512mb of ram and a decent graphics card???"

No u can't. The processor that dinosaur has is a P1 and I don't think that a P1 will work on modern sockets. And if u are able to find an old mobo that is compatible with that P1 then I'm pretty sure that it has only a pci port, so good bye to a decend vid card.

As I said u have to start from the beginning. I mentioned the stuff u can use from that old pc in my previous post.

And don't get win 98. Get XP, it's way better. And u don't have to have an firewall with XP if u don't want, but I recommend having one unless u want to have a computer full of viruses. And firewalls don't create lag (atleast not much)

WOW!!! a turbo button! i ahvnt seen one of those in years! yeah if you want a decent pc (espiecally for gaming) youre gunna have to start over again and be willing to put some money into it. you need to think about how much you can afford so we can have a number to work in.

Thanks guys, i have been talked out of doing it "Yes the turbo button lol" My dads friend who is a computer technition or somthing to do with building, rebuilding repairs etc. Any way hes son was selling his pc for $500 dollars awhile back. It was built especially for games etc. I am not sure of what it has inside it but it is custom built, It even has all them lights what change colours and flashes thousands of colours lol. I hope he hasnt sold it.

Back
Top Bottom