oil cooled computer!

Mr. Feesh said:
That's right I am going to cool a computer by submerging it in oil, it will be vegetable oil of course. Mooseman and me will attempt to over clock the computer and record temperatures. Now when we actually do this we will take pic's and record our results and post them here :D

i dont quite understand, doesnt oil heat up more quick than water? how will this keep things cool? also, how do you plan to submerge in oil? lol that could potentially lead to very messy situations!

a multi stage LN2 cooler has more than 2 stages where the heated LN is cooled off by huge copper coils. Oil does heat up faster than water thus giving it a better heat transfer, as long as the oil is circulating, it should be good temps.

ln's temperature can be -196C.
Cooling a cpu with it can make the cpu go almost as cool as that. But usually the motherboards don't work well at those temps so they have to raise the temps to something like -120C.

silicon doesnt conduct electricity well and low temps. So when itll boot a -120*C, then you can lower the temps.

Natalya said:
i dont quite understand, doesnt oil heat up more quick than water? how will this keep things cool? also, how do you plan to submerge in oil? lol that could potentially lead to very messy situations!
we will be using a clear plastic bin to submerge the computer in. only the mobo is going to be in the oil, along with the fans, cards, ram you know all the stuff on the mobo. the drives cd and HDD however will not be nor will the PSU. yes i do belive the oil heats up faster; thats what we want, we neeed to heat to transfur to the oil quickly so that heat is not on the computer. the fans will corculate the oil to keep the heat away from the computer. the heat should leave the oil at the to of the bin.

sry for my spelling. i did not have time to run this through the spell check.

Mr. Feesh said:
we will be using a clear plastic bin to submerge the computer in. only the mobo is going to be in the oil, along with the fans, cards, ram you know all the stuff on the mobo. the drives cd and HDD however will not be nor will the PSU. yes i do belive the oil heats up faster; thats what we want, we neeed to heat to transfur to the oil quickly so that heat is not on the computer. the fans will corculate the oil to keep the heat away from the computer. the heat should leave the oil at the to of the bin.

sry for my spelling. i did not have time to run this through the spell check.
yea, i think we might even take a fan and blow cool air into the bin or just blow air over the top so that the heat will get sucked into it's airflow like a current. or maybe also set the fan ontop of the bin so that it's blowing the heat strait ^ out of the bin :)

A vegetable oil cooled computer, send it to me when it's done. It sounds tasty.

Back
Top Bottom