Should I swap my Video card?

lonestar123

Beta member
I presently have an Geforce MX440 on my system but my brother-in-law gave me an ATI 9600FE recently. I've done some research on the new card and I'm just wondering if I will see a significant difference in swapping them out. I play a few games like Age of Mythology, Age of Empires (I have the new one coming for Christmas), Roller Coaster Tycoon....that sort of stuff. I'm planning to open the case anyway to soon to upgrade my RAM from 512 to 1024 so I could do it at the same time.

My system is an older HP Pavillion 250e

Athlon 2600+ processoer
512MB Ram
MX440 card
integrated sound

Thank you....

If the vid. card performs better, then go right ahead. I'm a visual person and I play a lot of games and video matters to me. I would upgrade the card if I were you. Just make sure your psu can handle a more demanding video card. If your psu can't take that card, I wouldn't upgrade.

Fisher said:
yup change, that mmx440 is that an onbroad graphics chip?

I don't think it is.
U can always try to use the new one u got. If the old one performed better then just put it back, no harm done trying.

The 9600 is better. I have an older gateway that had a MX something, and it wouldn't play Halo on higher settings. The 9600 would. Believe me: you'll see a big difference.

Thanks for the reply folks. Sorry it took me so long to get back but things have been pretty busy with work and Christmas coming and all. I do appreviate the input.

I am upgrading my ram from 512 to 1024 anyway so I thought why not just try the new card and see. The old one is 64mb and the new one is 128 so it's got to be somewhat different. I was just worried about the compatiability of the ATI with my HP but as long as I get rid of the existing drivers I should be okay. Like someone said, I can always put the MX440 back in.

Anyway, thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom