RAID 0 and RAID 1 can u have both?

Snoop65

Baseband Member
If your computer can run four Sata hard drives, can you run RAID 0 and RAID 1 at the same time?

Yes you can. It's called RAID 0+1. It combines mirroring and striping at the same time. All these years and I never once set up a RAID system. I ought to try it next.

Cool! Thanks! It is something I will consider whenever I get a new system.

I will only do it for the striping part, hence the RAID 0 for performance. If I'm running a machine that have critical info for business purpose or life/death issue, then I will most definitely run the RAID 0+1. RAID 0 sees the two hard drives as one so you're really not getting any redundancy there. If one drive fails, the whole thing is screwed up. WIth RAID 0+1, if one fails, I believe the other one still functions but the striping part would be lost. I think...

Hmmm I never heard of this. I thought it was only either 1 or 0.. Well with any raids I have set up. I know they can go up to 5 (or even more I really dont know) but if say in theory 0+1 was working 0 for performance both both drives would still have to copy each other so they wouldn't be working off each other it would just be like having raid 1. Unless its only while reading with it does the 0 and while writing it does 1. If so then my reply is pointless. Will definatly have to try something like this.

(edit: spelling)

Back
Top Bottom